Menu
Katykat
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Question regarding routers

At the moment we use the VM SH2 to hard wire 4 devices and use its WiFi function on the household goods, TV, Laptop etc.

Is it better or worth me getting a seperate router and putting the VM SH2 into Modem mode, and connecting the other items directly to the router?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Question regarding routers

What is the issue you are trying to resolve?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Molly_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Katykat,

Thanks for your post. Just to understand what's going on a little better are you currently experiencing connection issues?

Let us know if you require any assistance 🙂 

Thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Katykat
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, I don't have any issues, I was just asking if getting a router would be better than just using the SH2 for both wifi and connections?

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you want more granular control over your network, then yes, a third party router would be better. Or alternatively a Mesh system if your property is on the larger size. Either way any VM hub in modem mode with your own networking kit is preferable. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

VM Hubs are all in one boxes that are modems+routers+wireless equipment. They are mass produced and low cost for mass distribution. They function fine for most VM customers - hence why they continue to be supplied. If you want "better" then just using the Hub as a modem and getting your own router and wireless equipment will by definition always be better - assuming you buy good quality ones with the additional features you are after for better performance.

If its just more ethernet connectivity you want then you can get a multiport unmanaged, Gigabit ethernet switch for ~£15 - £30 and connect them to that

So you see it depends what you want to do "better" - if you are having no issues and all is fine with the VM Hub - then that's great - just stick with it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos