cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public IP Address

mikeemike
Joining in

I need to perform a task that necessitates remote access to my internal network.

My public IP address is shown as [MOD EDIT: Personal info], and it is currently being NAT'ed. How can I determine the actual public IP address so that I can establish rules from external to internal?

17 REPLIES 17

Client62
Legend

The IP displayed by the Hubs Info page and from the link below are our Public IP as seen by websites and our VOIP provider : https://whatismyipaddress.com/

If you perform an nslookup on your public IP it does return your unique customer host name, one can use either to reference your VM connection.

Is there no way to obtain an IP? 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mikeemike wrote:

Is there no way to obtain an IP? 

You are using a Residential Broadband service, so you get the IP allocated by your provider, which can change. If you want a static IP you will have to move to a Business Broadband service, where you pay to have that facility.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

vI understand that I have a dynamic address because it is a residential line. In the past, I used to receive a unique IP and wasn't serviced through a DNS.

Client62
Legend

The Public IP that VM allocate to your Hub will remain stable for a long time.
Ours has not changed in almost 5 years.

I have been a residential customer for the past 9 years, so during the various router hub upgrades Virgin must have changed how they allocated the Internet service to the hubs. @Client62 and @nodrogdfor your time and your insights... 👍

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

There is no change as IP addresses are dynamically allocated by the DHCP server, but each hub often gets the same one for years.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks for your input, but I 100% sure I used to  get a unique  public IP instead of a dns address. 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"I 100% sure I used to  get a unique  public IP instead of a dns address" all the VM hub gets is an IP address, it knows nothing of the DNS address. The DNS address for your particular IP address is known to the VM DHCP server which allocates it and registered on the VM DNS servers. If you are using a VM hub in modem mode you should NOT on your internal network refer to your DNS address because all the VM hubs do not support ‘hairpin NAT’. If you are using your own router it is probably available as a setting. My Unifi router certainly supports it.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2