cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ps5 WiFi not compatible with Virgin Hub

Callum090
Joining in

I've had my ps5 since launch and ever since every few days or so my connection only on the console would either cut out or go really slow. I would only notice this through extream lag in games or videos not loading in YouTube. Never a notification saying I had been disconnected. Although when I check the network settings when I have the issue it jumps between 'checking' and 'connected'.

I've split the bands to see if that helped but didn't and also factory reset the console. However what makes me believe its not agreeing with the router is that I managed to have no disconnections for about 3 months after I had forgotten the Internet from the ps5 and unplugging power from both the console and router and restarting it. Everything was fine and then one day the router went down for a minute and the day after the issue on the console came back. 

I've tried this technique again but I feel like it's not lasting as long anymore. What would people recommend I do as I believe it's a compatibility issue and not hardware issue with my console hopefully. Also I haven't got option for wired as I'm too far and have tried the boxes but they don't work either. 

15 REPLIES 15

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@paul9115 wrote:

No, VM should provide hubs that are fit for purpose.

They are in modem mode.

VM have had many years to get a your so called fit for purpose hub as a router and they still have not got it right maybe they need to remove more stuff in the hub like port forwarding, DMZ, display device list, MAC filtering, change LAN IP subnet, dhcp reservation....and then maybe they get the hub working as fit for purpose.

---------------------------------------------------------------

paul9115
On our wavelength

As I said in my previous post, Vodafone, EE, BT and others have got it right, providing many more features with no issues. If literally every other provider can manage it, maybe, just maybe, it's not that hard and VM are just bad.....

They don't even manufacture the hardware, and instead rebrand other hardware with poor firmware removing features to force customers into using the equipment with limited control

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

So go to another ISP your not going to get a better hub by VM and lets say the hub 5 gets it right your not going to get it as its for 1Gb customers and it unlucky they will get it right.

So in the end VM is for hardcore customers who will use modem mode or customers who do a bit of web browsing and watch video.

Its also the case that VM wants the experience to be like modem mode you plug in a PC it just works do that with many PC's and by wifi and the answer is you can't have your cake and eat it too.   

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Callum090,

Welcome back to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry to see that you are having issues with your connection.

I located your account using your forums details, I can see you have some downstream issues.

I need to book a tech for you, but I need to confirm some details with you. Please look out for a plum envelope at the top right of your screen.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

How would you know that? I haven't got any details in my account that would show you my hub details? 

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Callum090,

Thank you for coming back to us, we locate your account using the details you used to set up your community account, there was a private chat link sent so we could look further into this for you.

Can you try a pin reset on the Router just to rule out a software issue, first check all the internal connections are hand tight then push a pin/ paper clip in the back of the Router where it says reset, push in until you feel it press then hold in for a timed 1 Minute, do not reboot during or after and allow 15 Minutes to settle afterwards?

Have you also tried putting our Router back into Router mode and try your PS5 again with a wired connection?

Regards

Paul.