Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 21 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ps4 connectiviry

Yeah worked for a  month or two. Phoned virgin. Sony and akamai (who are the 3rd party blocking company). And guess what there is apparently nothing wrong and nothing has been blocked from any of them. Ended up buying a new router and am currwntlynusing the not so super hub as a modem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 22 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Mike Harris did you ever resolve it, as I'm going through the same palava, virgin blames sony and vice versa and Im a piggy in the middle of it just one big mess. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 23 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Had to buy a router from an electrical store and set the auperhub to modem mode . Gave up.on virgin. The router apparently renews IP addresses every 2 hours so fingers crossed ot wont happen again. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 24 of 41
Flag for a moderator

@Tina62 As you have stated in another thread Sony have admitted that they are blocking your VM IP, it would be helpful if they told you why they are blocking it.  As they are doing the blocking only they can lift the block.  The blocks are put in place to protect the Sony network from malicious traffic usually caused by malware, so you would be wise to check all your devices for malware or viruses.  The company that Sony use to help them protect their network are Akamai and they have a page here that could explain the reason for your block:

https://www.akamai.com/us/en/clientrep-lookup/

Visit the link above from your VM connection and see what it says.  It doesn't even have to be malware.  I have seen Sony block an IP because someone was running a Plex server that was scraping images (film posters, album covers, etc.) from the net for the files being served by the Plex server.

By putting the VM hub in modem mode and attaching a third party router @Mikeharris will have been assigned a new external IP address which is not being blocked by Sony.  However the VM IP addresses are assigned based on the MAC address of the device connected, in this case Mike's new router, so in order to change every two hours it would need to clone a different MAC address every two hours.  This seems unlikely to me and counterproductive as you could end up with an IP abused by someone else.

The best thing to do is keep your LAN clean and malware free and hang on to the same VM IP address.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 25 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Only things we have is 2 ps4 2 mobiles an ipad where would malware come from and how do we get rid of it also I can understand if we had laptops, so why does virgin keep telling me to phone Sony 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 26 of 41
Flag for a moderator

@Tina62 wrote:

Only things we have is 2 ps4 2 mobiles an ipad where would malware come from and how do we get rid of it also I can understand if we had laptops, so why does virgin keep telling me to phone Sony 

As I said in my post it isn't just malware that causes IPs to be blocked, but even mobile phones can get malware.  What happens when you try the Akamai link I posted?

VM tell you to phone Sony because Sony are blocking the IP for some reason and only they can lift the block.  If Sony can tell you why they are blocking you we might be able to figure this out, but based on similar posts on this issue previously it seems that Sony can't or won't explain why.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 27 of 41
Flag for a moderator

People always reply keep your connection clean and I assure it mine is. And for the record its akamai that block the IP addresses not Sony. And what a stupid system they employ. Surely they should say why its blocked and not just block it. But if you any of these companies virgin, akamai and Sony they all blame the other person!!! A simple.google sees that there are.loads of people that get this problem????

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 28 of 41
Flag for a moderator

IP addresses are.blocked not.mac addresses. I have tried numerous ps4s and also taken the router.to another virginmedia  connected.house and it still don't work. So it.seems to be the router os blocked 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 29 of 41
Flag for a moderator

@Mikeharris wrote:

People always reply keep your connection clean and I assure it mine is. And for the record its akamai that block the IP addresses not Sony. And what a stupid system they employ. Surely they should say why its blocked and not just block it. But if you any of these companies virgin, akamai and Sony they all blame the other person!!! A simple.google sees that there are.loads of people that get this problem????

From the Akamai link I posted previously:

"Client Reputation provides information to our customers regarding the reputation of IP addresses that interact with the Akamai Intelligent Platform. Customers use Client Reputation to better protect their applications against DDoS and application layer attacks. It does this by identifying and sharing with customers the likelihood that particular IP Addresses fall into one of the following malicious categories web attackers, Denial of Service(DoS) attackers, scanning tools and web scrapers.

Client Reputation leverages advanced algorithms to compute a risk score based on prior behavior as observed over the Akamai network. Based on this information, Akamai assigns risk scores to each IP Address and allows customers to choose which actions to take on an IP address with specific risk scores."

So Akamai say they are not the ones choosing to do the blocking that is Sony's decision based on the evidence Akamai collect.  I agree Sony should explain why the block is in place and many people have been saying that for years, which is why the IP reputation tool that I linked to was introduced to try and give some explanation.

If your LAN is clean then it is possible to get assigned an IP that was abused by someone else previously and you can be an unfortunate bystander.  In that case when Akamai stop seeing malicious traffic on an IP for a few days they will improve the IP's rep and Sony should lift the ban.

Yes lots of people get this, and not all of them are VM customers, so what is your point?  If Sony don't protect their network from DDOS and other attacks then none of us will be able to connect to the PSN.  I don't know how people expect their ISP to force another company to lift a ban that they think is necessary to protect their network.

I didn't say that the MAC address was being blocked, I just explained how the VM network assigns IP addresses based on MAC addresses.  Taking a VM hub to another household won't work as they are assigned to individual households.  @Mikeharris I'm struggling to follow your logic at this point.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 30 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I've had a 24hr block then a 48hr now I have a 72hr block, sony said I should check my devices which I have if anyone can recommend a good malware as I'm using malware bytes from android on 3 mobiles I have an ipad 4 but that doesn't work as no updates for ipad 4, also if any one can help me with port numbers, and the ip number in the end box, I  have to keep resetting the hub after the port numbers fail, sony said they may need changing, also they have passed the issue to another team which will be a few days, I've tried rescue gadget at a heavy cost with no resolution, which they won't refund, I'm very unhappy with Sony and vm passing me about vm customer services passed me around I'm fed up unhappy people in the household our Internet works just not PSN 

0 Kudos