Menu
lawrencehils
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Problems with the router - WIFI drops several times a day but wired connection is okay

Hi there
My wifi keeps dropping during the day, several times and the only way to resolve it is to turn it on and off.
I am using the Hub 2 router (and TV6 box)with 
Today I managed to test that when the WIFI dropped my hard wired PC was fine, ie accessed the internet through the network cable plugged into the router/hub
So the problem does not seem to be the broadband internet access but rather the router/hub crashing and dropping all the wifi channels.
-
Has anybody got any advice on how I can address this?
Can I request an upgrade to Hub 3 in case that solves the problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Adiejam
Dialled in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Problems with the router - WIFI drops several times a day but wired connection is okay

Hi Lawrence,

I don't think Hub 3 will solve your issues, in fact my Hub 2 was much better than my 3 x Hub 3's ive had over the last 2 years.

I am now moving to trying a separate Router or Mesh system and plug it into my Hub3, you can do the same for your Hub 3.

This is a Router which my friend uses and said its been great for him, he is not on huge speed broadband 

LINK

Goodluck 

lawrencehils
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problems with the router - WIFI drops several times a day but wired connection is okay

Thanks for your advice and for taking the time to respond.
-
As me and my wife are working from home now it is becoming really annoying!
I presume that I could do the same thing though the Hub 2. ie use it in router mode.
I suspect that Virgin routers are as cheap as they can possibly make them and that one from a reputable company would probably perform better.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Any router with the hub in modem mode will be better than then hub in router mode by itself 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Adiejam
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Lawrence,

No problem at all, i know what its like waiting for answers from posts! so when I am on and can offer some of my knowledge, then I will do so.

I have recommended so many friends and family to Virgin Broadband over the years and been with them for such a long time, but the Hubs are just the worse thing they have ever made. With technology being such a huge thing now, how they can release these systems with such poor results is beyond me.

I too (like most of the UK.....and EU!) been at home the last few weeks and on furlough from my own company and we have a full on house and to be honest we have put up with poor wifi and streaming to mobile phones 4G in bedrooms most of the time as we have unlimited data and since being at home we have had to reshuffle our finances due to lack of income (or none at all since March 1st!....so keeping fingers crossed after furlough) giving me time to reflect that I am actually paying for a service I don't actually receive ! so with endless forums, chats, youtube videos and the answer is to 100% ditch the router in the hub and turn the hub into Modem mode only and bring in a separate Router or a mesh system.

The one i linked too is what a friend has and he gets good broadband from - BUT dont forget their is a lot better on the market.

One that is getting HUGE reviews from Virgin users in the Amazon system Eero. If you have 200-350mb broadband then this will be perfect and read the reviews - its off the scale, so many saying how great it is....and it does NOT look like something from starwars next to you hub!

LINK

Note that if you do hard wire into your hub at the moment, using your hub in modem mode will disable this - so look at getting this: LINK

Cables, I would look at Cat 7 now, yes Cat 5 and 6 will work, but to future proof yourself.... go Cat 7. LINK

Have fun !

0 Kudos
lawrencehils
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks
-
I take your comment about going down the separate router/mesh path. Seems sensible.
The Eero is tempting.  If I was super confident it would remove the issues then I would go ahead as it would save so much grief and frustration from the family!
I was on a few work calls this week that just dropped out, halfway through, embarrassing.
Thanks for all the tips.

Wish you and your family well in the future and fingers crossed on the work front.
Cheers

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As a general rule of thumb, if you have a device connected directly to the Hub with an ethernet cable and that remains stably connected whilst wireless ones drop out, then you have a wifi only problem and getting your own equipment will sort the problem.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
lawrencehils
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Adiejam

An update on this.

I had a chat with virgin and was told they would call me back to upgrade to hub 3, but am still waiting for the call. Over a week....

In the meantime I couldn't wait any longer as impacting work so I bought the cheaper router from Amazon you suggested, using the virgin one in modem mode. I thought I could try for a week and return if no luck. Took ten minutes to do.

Since installed I have not had a single drop or reboot and work video conferencing works absolutely fine. Transformed the experience and destressed work connection. So wanted to thank you Adiejam for your help. Lifesaver,

Recommended this action to others.

Thanks

0 Kudos