Menu
CatMario
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Problems with my Superhub 1

I am currently having two issues with my Superhub 1, I only use this in modem mode and this is attached to a netgear Nighthawk router.

Issues:

1) For the last 6-7 months I have found that every few weeks (becoming more frequent) I need to reboot my hub as it caps download speed from 100Mbps to 45Mbps and this will continue  until I reboot it.

2) Since Friday morning (00:30ish) I have started having an issue where the Hub will lose connection to the internet, the blue LED that constantly blinks to confirm connection to the internet will turn green first it will be solid then it will blink before returning to blue and then re-establish connection to the internet. This all happens in the space of a few minutes.

I have seen this second issue again on Friday midday when I was on a conf call, and twice on Sunday within the space of 6 hours. I have had this hub for about 10 years and never really had any issue with it before.

So last night I decided to log into the Hub to see if there were any logs I could look at to see if it was losing and then establish connection to the Virgin network or was it just rebooting itself. But my first attempt to log into it crashed the hub, then the second time I was able to log in but doing anything on the hub was super slow and the only thing I could do was change my password, enable remote access or disable modem mode.

I have tried calling Faults but they only wanted me to take the hub out of modem mode and told me that will fix my Wifi, no matter how I tried to explain that wasn't the issue, the issue is the hub losing connection to the internet they wouldn't do anything. I have asked for a call back from a Supervisor but having looked on Twitter I see it is a common occurrence that one does not call back. 

Is there anyway I can get a replacement hub? 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Problems with my Superhub 1

The SH1 belongs in a skip 🙂

You could try the "free" SH1/2/2ac upgrade/replacement scheme - see the link below - as they are trying to get everyone onto Hub3/4’s (there may be a small delivery charge).

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

It used to work first time for about 50% of customers, but if you get the - "Ooops - please call" message, then it usually means you are on an old package that the computer can’t recognise so they want to speak to you about it.

They may be asking more people to ring in now as there is a shortage of Hub3/4's so they want to make sure they only hand them out to customers that have issues.

If you get nowhere post back here

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
CatMario
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I thought this was going to be the answer to my prays but alas I get a "Can't change your package on line" message when I try to do this.

I also should mention that it doesn't ask me to ring, is that just normal CS, not faults for me to try this with?

0 Kudos
CatMario
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I called CS and explained the issue and even he tried to start troubleshooting and was about to suggest it was my internal networking equipment, then I said well you do have a offer on to upgrade so can I just do that please so once is being sent out to me.

Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Maybe your problem will be solved with a new hub if not its a Docsis/network issue and they just carpet bomb people with new hubs because thats the easy option.

I have to wonder why they need to put the hub in router mode to run their tests like what tests? maybe they can ping ARP the LAN to check for packet loss?
---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
CatMario
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

To be fair I was the one requesting the hub as that is the piece of equipment that has been having the issue.

Asking for the Hub to be put back into router mode is pretty standard trouble shooting they are essentially trying to eliminate your/3rd party equipment from the equation. However if they had some knowledge people on first line they could really work out when this is appropriate, and when it is not. In this modern day and age putting the hub into router mode is a real problem, my lights, my TV remote and a plethora of other devices are all wireless and would all need reconfiguring and and LAN reservations I had would all be lost.

in my case I kept telling them that if it was my router then the Virgin hub would 1 would always indicate it had a connection, the hub itself is the one that seem to to stop talking to the Virgin network.

0 Kudos