Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Problems with internet

Hi, I've had problems with internet - connecting to wifi for a long time with Virgin Media, my way around it has been to connect what I can via ethernet cables.  I have a playstation that sits directly next to router, which doesn't connect via WiFi - only connects via ethernet cable.

I'm in my office room which is approx. 12-13m away from the router, with two internal walls between.  I have a TP-Link TL-PA717 Kit 1-Port Gigabit Powerline (remote ethernet) which I connect to a laptop.  This was all working fine from July until say 22/10/2020, where now my internet is getting like 2mpb or less download and not allowing me to have teams calls etc.  I have tried the TP-Link and laptop device closer to the router and the speed test increases to what I'd expect.  I would have thought that it should reach this range, particularly using a TP-Link and for the reason that this was working for 4-5months before.

I'm a bit baffled and would appreciate some advice on those that understand the details.  I've tried resetting Hub, I've followed actions on the VirginMediaConnect app and no luck.  Some details below, for those that understand.  Please let me know if you can think of any ways I can sort this or if I need an engineer out:

1 of 41 of 42 of 42 of 43 of 43 of 4VM4.PNG 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problems with internet

Powerline adaptors are never really a fast and stable way to connect.

What is the connection like if you wire direct to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gary, I unfortunately don't have an ethernet cable which will reach as far as where I'm at, but if I bring the laptop closer to the router and connect with wired ethernet cable the connection is good, shows as approx. 100mb download, albeit I did have a bit of interference on Teams call yesterday (when wired) and couldn't share my camera. 

I got the powerline adaptor to avoid the need of having wires running through the house, I didn't realise they were not a stable way to connect.  Maybe the best way is to get a longer ethernet cable that would reach?

I just think the WiFi connection overall is very poor.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you need better WiFi then a mesh system or high-end router will do. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@lukedougie91 wrote:

I got the powerline adaptor to avoid the need of having wires running through the house, I didn't realise they were not a stable way to connect.  Maybe the best way is to get a longer ethernet cable that would reach?  I just think the WiFi connection overall is very poor.

As per Gary's statement, Powerline adaptors are not good and really you should consider running an ethernet cable to your "home office" along with a switch. Don't forget cables can be run externally to other parts of a house, so they don't always have to be routed indoors. 

The other point is you have PostRS errors which is indicative of noise on the circuit.  Reboot the Hub and keep an eye on these numbers, they should ideally be 0 or very low numbers.  Check the cables from outside to in and tighten any loose connections.  Otherwise an engineer will be required to fix

I wouldn't however always recommend a single more powerful router over a decent mesh system, as sometimes these can interfere with other neighbours by nature of their more powerful wifi signals.