Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Problem with Unifi AP Disconnecting from Superhub3

I've had a Unifi AP LR connected to my SH3 for a few years now to help get better wifi on the other side of a wall in my house.  I've always experienced the AP disconnecting from the SH3 - on a random basis which could be 4-5 times per day. When this happens, everything on the AP (which is most of the wifi devices in the household) disconnect, and then re-connect.

I tried 2 years ago to diagnose and spoke to Unifi who said it was a problem with the SH3 and to Virgin who said it was a problem with Unifi.  So we've lived with the problem until now.

With everybody working from home now, the reliability and bandwidth of the network is more important, and so last week I replaced the Unifi AP LR with a Unifi AP AC LR, to give us faster bandwidth. I was also hoping it would solve the disconnect problem.  The speed improvement is great - I'm on a 200Mbs package from Virgin, but was only getting 10Mb from the original AP.  Now I'm getting up to 100Mbps, so am happy.  However, the new Unifi AP is disconnecting in exactly the same way as the original one.  

So at this point, I'm suspecting that the problem is back in the SH3.  I've had our IT guys at work look at my Unifi set up and they confirmed that it's all as it should be.  I've looked at the SH3 logs, and I don't see the SH3 disconnecting from the internet.  I can see from the Unifi controller log that the disconnection is happening still 4-5 times a day randomly.  

Has anyone had a similar experience and found a resolution?

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem with Unifi AP Disconnecting from Superhub3

Are you running the hub in router mode or mode mode?

The AP is cabled back to the hub by Ethernet yes? What cable have you used? To be only getting 100Mb WiFi doesn’t seem right.

What device are you speed testing on?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi - I'm running the SH3 in router mode, not modem.  So yes, the AP is cabled back by a 5M CAT7 cable.  My speed test results vary by device.  I'm using Ookla variously on MacBook, ipad and iphone and get very different results on all, but in general they're all 10x faster than with the old router which only had the 2.4Ghz channel.

I'm not too worried about bandwidth at the moment - I'm trying to resolve the disconnecting issue

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Go to the admin page of the router (192.168.0.1) and post back the Upstream, Downstream and Network log pages

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

gsmith45_0-1586341243520.png

gsmith45_1-1586341289017.png

gsmith45_2-1586341309998.png

gsmith45_3-1586341326879.png

gsmith45_4-1586341345610.png

gsmith45_5-1586341367323.png

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So your downstream levels are too low and your upstream levels are too high - that explains the disconnects.

Is there an attenuator fitted on the back of the hub?

Will look something like this -https://www.amazon.co.uk/15db-Forward-Path-Attenuator-Fld5W-65-860-Fpa-15/dp/B007FA28B2

And if there is, what is the db stated on it?

On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Good question.  No, there is no attenuator - see picture.  The silver connector has a label that says "Belcon 4.9"

gsmith45_1-1586343296711.png

Can you say more words on your upstream/downstream level comments?

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OK so no attenuator.

You will need an engineer visit to resolve this.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Gary

Could you help me state my issue in a way that would resonate with the VM Helpdesk folks?  I don't really want to go 10 rounds with them again and have them point at the Unifi AP as the probable issue!

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just explain to them that you have posted on there and been advised that your Upstream power levels are too high and your Downstream levels are too low and you require an engineer to rectify.

0 Kudos