Menu
nbr1Verge
Settling in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Probably being silly?

How will my wifi booster know to log into my network automatically and not next door? is it don't through the house's electricity? or is each booster automatically set up for a specific house?

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Probably being silly?

@nbr1Verge wrote:

How will my wifi booster know to log into my network automatically and not next door? is it don't through the house's electricity? or is each booster automatically set up for a specific house?

WiFi boosters have to be paired to the HUB using WPS

One part of the booster (Smaller one) plugs into the HUB, via ethernet, and power.

The other part (Larger) plugs into the power.

The two communicate through the power line to give signal in areas your HUB cannot.

Have a look here for a full guide.

0 Kudos
nbr1Verge
Settling in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi i must have a ~Different type or maybe im talking about something else its hexagonal shape and it plugs into the wall and no other parts with it , it has no buttons and pairs itself.

https://imgur.com/Yz7s3wq

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@nbr1Verge wrote:

Hi i must have a ~Different type or maybe im talking about something else its hexagonal shape and it plugs into the wall and no other parts with it , it has no buttons and pairs itself.

https://imgur.com/Yz7s3wq

They are the new 'pods':

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/intelligent-wifi-pods-new 

Click here for the guide to using them.

I assume they are pre-configured to work with your HUB?

0 Kudos
nbr1Verge
Settling in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have mine working fine, what im wondering is if they are pre configured or if they just pick up the hub through the electric somehow as if it was OTA it could pick up neighbours signals, just im heading to my parent's house and they have virgin and I want to see if it improves their signal for them but if its pre-configured il have to try and get them their own to test it out.

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@nbr1Verge wrote:

I have mine working fine, what im wondering is if they are pre configured or if they just pick up the hub through the electric somehow as if it was OTA it could pick up neighbours signals, just im heading to my parent's house and they have virgin and I want to see if it improves their signal for them but if its pre-configured il have to try and get them their own to test it out.

Well they don't use your power line to communicate.

They connect to the HUB/each other to repeat the wireless signal.

There has been a firmware update recently so I imagine the pods are added to your account, and since your HUB is also on your account it 'knows' that they are allowed to connect.

0 Kudos
nbr1Verge
Settling in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

ah get ya i thought it was like a powerline link.

"A Powerline adapter is a device which uses your homes electric wiring to transmit communications signals"

So no way of knowing if it will work on my parents or not. Best to just order them their own
0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@nbr1Verge wrote:
ah get ya i thought it was like a powerline link.

"A Powerline adapter is a device which uses your homes electric wiring to transmit communications signals"

So no way of knowing if it will work on my parents or not. Best to just order them their own

I suggest they would not work at your parents, if they are linked to account, which makes sense.

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The new WiFi Pods are indeed associated to the account on which they were ordered and will not work anywhere else.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I believe they’re linked to the MAC address of the hub. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos