cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private DNS cant be accessed

Murshed7866
Joining in

Hello, I use a Galaxy android phone and im usually using a private DNS when it comes to networking. It works with sky but for some reason now that I started using virgin media as my new provider. It says internet not connected private dns cant be accessed. So for the internet To work I have to turn off the private DNS. Is there a way to have this resolved? So that i can use the broadband and have the private DNS working. The DNS that i use is: dns.adguard.com and it blocks pop ups and ads. Now that i cant use it, im getting them now.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From a desktop or laptop device:

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Client62
Hero

Hello,

Using a Hub 3 in Router mode, I have just changed my Samsung phone's private DNS from dns.google to dns.adguard.com and both are working fine.

Using a web browser to visit DNS Leak Test, the standard test shows dns.adguard.com is working.  ( do this test to see the DNS in use )

Note: Chrome on android permits setting of a secure DNS E.g. 8.8.8.8 that would override the Private DNS settings.

Which VM Hub do you have ? 
Is the Hub in Router mode ( i.e. has WiFi enabled ) or in in Modem mode ?

Hello, I tried testing using the DNS Leak test, but as soon as i click the private DNS my internet stops working.

Sadly i didnt understand your point in the note.

I have the VM Hub 5 and it is currently on Router mode.

So a Hub 5 Router mode, DNS interception by the Hub 5 has been seen before and the effect was that DNS lookups just timed out.

In the Chrome browser's settings navigation is ... "..." >>>  Settings >>> Privacy and security >>> Use secure DNS. It is possible to set a DNS just for the Chrome browser such as OpenDNS / Google(Public DNS)/etc. Selecting a DNS here for Chrome overrides any PrivateDNS settings but just for Chrome.

Is the internet also working or not working when the android Private DNS is set to :  dns.google  ?  ( in place of  dns.adguard.com )

Does your Virgin Media account have Child Safe enabled ? 

Hello, i tried using thay but i get ads and pop ups

I haven't used dns.google, but doesn't work with adguard.

Im not sure if it has that on, i would need to check once im home.

Is it something i have to call virgin media to allow private dns servers or something? Because now that i turned it off, im getting considerable pop ups and ads.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If Child Safe is on then it is responsible for the issue observed because it blocks access to adguard.com domain. Either:

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hello, thank you very much,

I shall try this once i am home. Im guessing i have to add the addguard to the safe option or disable child safe through the 192.168.0.1 internet log in right? Or is it via the app

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From a desktop or laptop device:

Android Private DNS using the name form of the DNS server appears so flawed given the IP of the DNS is the norm.

It is easy to block the named Private DNS, but it would be just as simple to silently return the IP of a malicious DNS.

Ive made the change, now to see when i get home if it actually works. Fingers crossed it does!