Menu
Jetlagged
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Privacy Error

Since joining Virgin Media, when trying to access some websites I get the, "Privacy Error, Your connection is not private." message.

I can get around it by using my usual VPN but would prefer to be able to use my system without resorting to get arounds.

Any ideas please?

Windows 10 PC and Google Chrome all regularly updated. Following advice online I have tried using an incognito window but it didn't work.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Privacy Error

Try a different browser.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Is there an option to click a button or link on the error message ?

If there is DO NOT click it.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Jetlagged
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That was interesting. Microsoft Edge is working without any problem. Now the issue is that I prefer Chrome. Is there anyway around this please?

0 Kudos
Jetlagged
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the warning. All good.

0 Kudos
Jetlagged
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo

My bad. Microsoft Edge browser is giving the same error message. I didn't realise that I was still connected to my VPN.

Can anyone else help please?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Are you saying that in two browsers you get the message when connected by VPN but don't get the message when the VPN is disabled ?

0 Kudos
Jetlagged
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No, the other way round. I can get in by using a VPN but not without it.

No I'm wondering if this is a setting on my PC as my mobile phone and tablet are both working perfectly on the same Wi-Fi network. The PC is directly connected via ethernet but surely that cannot be causing this.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Before going any further I would disconnect the PC from the network by pulling the ethernet cable and disabling the Wi-Fi then set your anti virus program to run a deep test on the PC.

0 Kudos
Jetlagged
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I run Windows 10 with Defender which is routinely updated. Following your advice, I disabled that and ran Avast and also Malwarebytes. All have come up clean.

It is not every site that I get this Privacy error. Certainly Virgin Media is one of them along with Amazon and National-Lottery.though there may be others. On the other hand there are many where I am not getting the error.

0 Kudos