Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Prior to tech visit dare I move back to modem mode?

I've been through a lot of network pain when due to a rebooting Hub 3 I had to factory reset to "prove" it wasn't rebooting due to my 3rd party router/wifi (Ubiquiti gear). So that done its now a week until the tech visits and I'd like to get my home network back to a functional stage while I wait.

Is it safe to switch the Hub back to modem mode or when the tech arrives will they then use that as a reason to not fix the issue and I'll be back at square one? If its safer to just "leave it as is" I'll do that for now but if I can move back to Ubiquiti and my whole house wifi coverage I would like to!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Prior to tech visit dare I move back to modem mode?

If you are having problems with your current setup leave it be.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

What you can do is copy the MAC from your router to your PC NIC and connect to modem mode just to prove its not your router.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Could you put the Ubiquiti into access point mode as a temporary fix?  Not ideal for obvious reasons, but could that work until VM have sorted out your line?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I find that strange, as I've never used any of my (Super)Hub's in anything but Modem mode. Any visits I've arranged would be in that configuration. Granted I've only had a few issues, and they have always been around Cabinet tap moves (power levels to Hub). However that was before VM let go of many UK staff and moved Offshore .....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Same here, always run in Modem Mode. Ubiquiti equipment knocks the VM hubs for six. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Its been horrific - Call Center/Message center support insist you factory reset and run Hub 3 in default router/wifi mode and refuse to help if it is in modem mode. Now a week later the tech coming out today is completely unware of the modem rebooting/SNR level issue and is only visiting to investigate our other problem (no on-demand working). So. Ugh.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If they are giving you the runaround it would be an idea to go through the motions of the simple things that can be done and get some evidence together ...

Firstly set up a BQM at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal coming into the property, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing.

Carry out a factory reset on the Hub …
With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar do a pinhole reset.
Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.
DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.
Once a steady white and no other lights are illuminated check your speeds again.

Type 192.168.0.1 into your browser URL bar and press enter.  When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.Copy and paste the contents of each tab onto here, a Guru will be along in the not too distant future to decipher the info.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike - I'll do those. I did already factory reset the hub but I can do that again if its also ok to then put it back into modem mode so I can plug my Ubiquiti gear back in and not have to go through factory reset to router/wifi mode to "prove" the reboots are not due to the unsupported "3rd party router"?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You iitially have to 'prove' the VM system is either good or bad, adding your kit back in just clouds the issues.

Once you have done all the testing and posted the results you should be good to rebuild your network BUT I would leave it for a few hours just to prove the VN side of things.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos