cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer not connecting to Hub 5

malcesine
Joining in

Cant connect to my HP Printer to Hub 5, very frustrated as new virgin customer

Tried disabling 5GHz, disabled channel optimisation, adjusted wireless mode, mac filtering off, reset several times - all to no avail

All other devices, some pretty old - easily connected first time

The VM app on my phone does seem to see the printer and but its greyed out as not connected

Wireless signal at 76% beside printer, printer sees my network but 'cannot connect to network' using WPS or manually entering password

Lastly, when I run hub5 diagnostic - I get 'Your home network has a few problems' on wireless - not sure if relevant r not

8 REPLIES 8

Client62
Hero

Wi-Fi 6 / 802.11ax

Hub 5 has Wi-Fi 6 / 802.11ax on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.

This is proving to have poor or no compatibility with some 2.4GHz only devices like IoTs and main brand laptops + printers.

Symptoms are the device does not see the Wi-Fi service from the Hub 5.

If the device does not have updated drivers available, a workaround that has worked is to use a TP-LINK RE450 / AC1750 Wireless Repeaters as a bridge from the Hub 5's Wi-Fi 6 to the more compatible 2.4GHz Wi-Fi 4 & 5GHz Wi-Fi 5 that the IoTs / Laptops can use.  Other brands and models of Wi-Fi equipment that can perform a similar task may be equally suitable.

For laptops / desktop a USB dual band Wi-Fi adaptor is good option.

Client62
Hero

A possible workaround may be setting the Hub 5 to 802.11g/n/ax or 802.11n/ax for the 2.4GHz band.

Please report back if either/both options worked or failed to work.

fizz
Superfast

the only way I can now get my hp printer to connect wirelessly is turning security off completely which is a no no despite the printer being WPA2 compatible... it is strange that it will connect without changing the wireless to a different protocol on the 2.4 will not alter anything even if set to WPA2.. have to switch security off completely.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Modem Mode

Client62
Hero

Have you tried using 802.11g/n/ax & 802.11n/ax with the 2.4GHz band on Channel 6 and WPA2-PSK ?

Hi there @fizz 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here.

I am so sorry that you have faced this issue and a big thank you to Client62 for their help and advise so far.

Have you been able to try the 2.4Ghz connection as advised? 

Nope I tried for about two years with a hub 3 and now a hub 5. Will only connect with security switched off when it should work with wpa2 (dows not work with wpa  either). I had my ssid separated at the time so was always using 2.4 for the printer never got to the bottom of it so I moved my office around and now have to trail an ethernet cable to the printer when I print now.  The printer used to work with the hub 3 but a firmware update on the hub  3 stopped it working and it never worked since and the hub 5 is the same.. I can work around my issue (have done for years)

Client62
Hero

As the Printer's Wi-Fi stopped working with a Hub 3 and then does not work with a Hub 5, this reads like a printer fault.

fizz
Superfast

could well be but I know with WPA off it works fine.. and nothing has changed with the printer... I'm just saying that I could not get mine (an older HP printer that should work) it's ok..