Menu
hobnob14
Tuning in
Message 1 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Powerline to Access Point

I am about ready to admit defeat and ask for help. Over the last few weeks I have been trying to get a decent internet signal into the corner of my house. The SH3 is in the opposite corner downstairs. Initially I tried to use a D-Link AC2600 as my router and stuck the SH3 into router mode. For the price this solution was pants. I genuinely can't say I noticed a huge amount of difference and every 30 minutes or so it would throttle down to 1mbps (I have 100mbps) or completely switch off. I then tried it as an access point using the virgin powerlines adapter and again seemed great but after 30 minutes or so it throttled itself or switched off. I thought this must be a dud so I sent it back. 

I am using the Virgin Powerline adapters and they are okay. Unfortunately, due to the plug point in the room the signal is rubbish. Through the ethernet port I can easily get 100mbs but this isn't a reasonable solution long term. 

Not wanting to fork out another £150 if I can avoid it I bought a tp-link 450mbps access point. This I assumed would solve all of my problems. Once again however, I am stuck with slow speeds even when next to the point. What am I doing wrong. The ethernet point gives great speeds so why won't the access points. 

Feeling desperate and defeated

Tom

Edit - the access points always run on a separate ssid but the powerlines are still giving off their own ssid. For whatever reason they give a pretty decent signal to the floor below.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: Powerline to Access Point

Are the access points gigabit ports and are you using a CAT5E or better cable?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
hobnob14
Tuning in
Message 3 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I am using CAT5E cable and the box says its a 10/100 mbps ethernet port. But the D-link AC2600 did have 4 gigabit ports and I still got rubbish speeds from that. 

When I diagnose the wifi on the SH3 I get a little error sign. However, it doesn't give me any more information than that. It all seems to work though other than the speeds of this new point.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 31
Flag for a moderator

What are your wired speeds with that same cable but direct to the hub and a laptop?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
hobnob14
Tuning in
Message 5 of 31
Flag for a moderator

110mbps. Straight up no issue at all. So the powerline adapter seems to be fine. 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 6 of 31
Flag for a moderator

when connected to either the access point or router via wifi, can you see if you're connected to the 2.4ghz band or the 5ghz? 

Click the wifi icon in the system tray, select your wifi network then click properties - scroll down to the bottom and in the Properties section, check the Network band.

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Ah. Are you also connecting the access point to the powerline plug?

hobnob14
Tuning in
Message 8 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Yea the access point is connected to the power line adapter via the ethernet point. But it is still broadcasting its own signal so I don't know if that would be causing issues. 

0 Kudos
hobnob14
Tuning in
Message 9 of 31
Flag for a moderator

This access point is only broadcasting 2.4GHz (something I have only just realised) but would that be restricting me to 10-15mbps? 

0 Kudos
hobnob14
Tuning in
Message 10 of 31
Flag for a moderator

This access point is only broadcasting 2.4GHz (something I have only just realised) but would that be restricting me to 10-15mbps?
0 Kudos