cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerline adaptor not working anymore

F41sal
Joining in

Need help its depressing me 😔😔 

So last week everything was working fine, i have virgin hub 5 which has a powerline adaptor connected to which provides internet to an outbuilding.

Since last week its suddenly died...all the lights are on and the same as before. Now it jus says connected no internet available. Tried rebooting..disconnecting..u name it but still no answer. Any ideas please

5 REPLIES 5

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Powerline adapters are very susceptible to mains carried interference. It’s been known for people to pick up a neighbour’s internet connection. Can you try them over a short distance say both in the same room? A wired Ethernet connection is always best.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Works fine in the same room but dead.in the outbuilding. Tried different adaptors same thing. I was thinkin maybe the hub5 could be issue?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Did you say it worked fine in the outbuilding before and has now just stopped - whilst working in the same room?

If its never worked in the outbuilding, then most likely is that the outbuilding is on a different circuit - i.e. not "connected".
When outbuildings, attics, garages, extensions etc are wired into the grd the "sparks" will usually add it on a separate consumer unit.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Worked perfect in outbuilding then randomly stopped 1 day last week

g0akc
Problem sorter

Try it in different rooms (different distances) and on different sockets - if it works in another room it's unlikely the hub - unless that hub itself is causing some noise.

If it was working in the outbuilding, and on a different spur, it may have been marginal and some new source of interference, even a neighbours kit, has dropped it be low the threshold.

I don't like the dammed things for a number of reasons including this type of issue.

Look at running an Ethernet cable

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!