Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Powerline Adapter & Wifi Extender Issue

I currently have a powerline adapter and wifi extender within my broadband network as follows. Lets call my network VM

Room 1 - Modem linked to Powerline adapter with Ethernet Cable.

Hall - Wifi Extender(New access Point VM_EXT) which has an ethernet port and cabled into room 2 for a games console.

Room 3 - Poweline adapter linked to PC via an ethernet cable.

My issue is that the PC seems to be using connecting to VM_EXT which is the extender rather than the main box, where the initial powerline adapter is.

Any ideas how i tell my PC to connect to thye main box and not the VM_EXT access point.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Powerline Adapter & Wifi Extender Issue

It will connect to the strongest signal.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply.

The main box is giving me speeds of 480MB using WIFI from in the same room.  With the wifi extender plugged in i get ethernet from the extended network of approx 30MB.

I supposs this means the main powerline adapter is thereofe running at less than 30MB so dropping 450MB rendering the main poweline adapter, plugged into the router, useless?

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Power lines are susceptible to interference that greatly reduces speeds.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I may revert to running an ethernet cable based on your latest information. i was aware some speed would be lost but not that amount.

Thanks again,
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Powerlines are “ok” if you’re using them on new wiring and it’s all in the same ring main. Otherwise it’s hit and miss.

If you have the capacity to run an Ethernet cable to a wired access point somewhere centralised, that would be your best bet.

Other than that you can look into a mesh system as an alternative. 

0 Kudos