cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerline Adapter Started Sparking and Went bang!!!

mightymouse
Tuning in

Hopefully someone from virgin media can help me here.

Sitting watching tv and my Powerline adapter started producing actual sparks then smoke then went bang!!!

Scared the living daylights out of me and the kids.

Number one is there an existing issue with these plugs as they do get mighty hot when in use and is this the reason mine went bang. Is there a new model of plug and im using old style brick types that werent fit for the job?

Number 2 i am obviously going to need a replacement from Virgin as mine is dead, i am happy to send the item back to you for inspection.

Just concerned that is if not been in room and this had happened whilst i was out and unable to shut off fuse box what fire damage could of potentially been done.

Regards

6 REPLIES 6

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @mightymouse

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear that this happened. We're keen to get this looked into and sorted out for you ASAP. I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments, please respond to this when you can and we'll proceed from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to point out, VM no longer supply those powerline adaptors, and have been supplying Pods for some time now.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/wifi-max - Wifi Pod information

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

If this is the case then i guess im wasting my time.

Hub 3 just doesnt seem man enough for wifi

And i read those pods now are rubbish and give slow speeds. I get 500Mb broadband but a 30mb guaranteed speed in other rooms with pods? This isnt adequate for streaming 4k films in plex etc. I guess they stopped supplying powerlines because maybe they blew up perhaps?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are several  threads on here where the old boosters burst into flames - this is being followed up by "trading standards" - just search this board for detail.

Meanwhile forget VM wifi and get your own solution.  Get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point, (4) a pair of good quality Wifi Powerline Adaptors, or a combination of (2&3).

£40-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage. Spend more for additional advanced“features” - if required.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

John is 100% correct.  It is very unusual for a single ISP Router to cover all parts of a property,  Most people I know use some sort of extenders for WiFi.  The choice of what kit to buy, is up to you.  Personally I use ceiling mounted Access Points run over PoE.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks