Menu
Twills143
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Powering off WiFi booster

Hello my question is 

I have a WiFi booster that is in my garage at the bottom of the garden that gets its signal through the mains electricity. It’s basically for streaming music and the internet when I’m working in there.

I don’t really want to leave it switched on all the time as sometimes might not be in the garage for a couple of days 

is it ok to switch it off and leave it not powered up or will it loose all the settings and possibly not connect once I turn the power back on .

They do get warm and anything that gets warm is using energy, energy I don’t want to waste 

Thanks 

Toby 

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Powering off WiFi booster

That should be fine!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Typically a powerline booster uses around 5 watts, so not normally a huge drain, but I understand your thinking.  On a related topic, because a VM hub is not very energy efficient it uses around 14 watts, I have mine on a timer through the small hours of the morning.  

The vast majority of such devices will retain settings when powered off.  Normally they use an internal battery or capacitor to power the memory, so there will be a design limit on how long they'll retain those, probably at least a couple of weeks, in some cases many months, although the designed retention time can decrease with age.  

Give it a go and DO turn it off.  If it loses settings then you'll only have to re-enter the settings once but then you'll know to leave it powered on!  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Twills143
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for reply’s 

• I will try turning it off and think I’ll put a timer on main hub in the house .
  • no point wasting energy if don’t need to
0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Totally agree!!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Andrew-G wrote:

The vast majority of such devices will retain settings when powered off.  Normally they use an internal battery or capacitor to power the memory, so there will be a design limit on how long they'll retain those, probably at least a couple of weeks, in some cases many months, although the designed retention time can decrease with age.  

Actually most  such devices will retain settings in NVRAM - flash -  (memory which doesn’t need power).  There probably won’t be an internal battery.  Some kit, such as PCs, does have a battery, often for internal clocks etc.

Bear in mind the boot up time - so each time you go to the garage it will be a few minutes before you can use the WiFi.

Powering off/on kit can cause some stress to components.

I leave our hub and router plus additional WAP on - various home automation including heating control goes through it, and some TV recording, 24/7

There’s no real right or wrong - no issue with what you propose if it works for you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
Twills143
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again for the reply’s 

some great information there ,I’m probably going to leave it powered up as I’m in the garage quiet a bit at the moment , and considering the small amount of power it will  use when not in there seams little point turning it off , apart from when I know I’m not going in there for a week or so I’ll turn it off then

thanks again 

Toby

0 Kudos