Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Powerboosters don't relay internet with Hub 4.0

I received my new Hub 4.0 over the weekend.  It was easy to swap out and connect in the same way as the Hub 3.0.  It broadcasts the new network and has about the same speed.

However, it refused to talk to the booster that was connected to it.  I did a factory reset on the booster and ran through the entire normal setup process.  Several time.  I restarted the Hub several times.  The net result is the booster will broadcast a wifi network of the same name, but will not relay internet connection.  So all my devices see the wifi network of the same name as the hub (same security as well), but cannot access the internet.  When looking to connect to the wifi network, it even states no internet access.

As soon as I turn off the boosters, the wifi network works fine but of course is limited to less than half my house.  

I also tried connecting my old draytek router and get that to broadcast.  The draytek will connect via ethernet to the hub and will relay the internet via ethernet.  However when it tries to relay internet via wifi, it fails.  The draytek cannot relay the internet access via wifi regardless of the name of the wifi network I give it.  ie if I tell the draytek to use the same name and security as the hub, it fails.  If I tell the draytek to use a different name and security, it still fails.  

I tried putting the old hub 3.0 back in, but that now completely refuses to connect to the internet at all.  

Virgin telephone support say there is a local fault, though their online status check says no issues in the area.  Considering internet access direct through the hub is fine, I disagree that some local fault is causing all boosters to fail to work alongside the hub 4.0

As an aside, my phone line also doesn't work with the new hub.  

I didn't ask for a hub 4.0, it was just given to me by Virgin to 'Prevent upcoming issues'.  More like to cause new issues.  No warning of potential problems. 

Can anyone confirm if hub 4.0 works with the virgin supplied boosters.

Thank you.

PS.  Please do not suggest a reboot of anything.  That's been done multiple times.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Powerboosters don't relay internet with Hub 4.0

Have you factory/pinhole reset both boosters and re-paired them? 

If you want to use another router you need to put the virgin hub into modem mode. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I did the factory reset on the power boosters.  The old hub worked fine in normal mode with a router then running its own wifi off it with a different SSID.  This doesn't work with the new hub.  And no one router can cover my house (old victorian terrace, ie lots of brick), so I need some kind of repeater.  I'm not keen on buying a whole set of new hardware.  Sky's booster/repeater system worked fine.  I moved to virgin to improve speed, and expect the same ability to cover the house.  Especially on their Max It  bundle. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

WiFi speeds and connectivity aren’t guaranteed or sold as part of your contract.

Are you saying you have another router attached to the hub as well?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm afraid the expectations of Virgin Media Wi-Fi far exceed reality.

People are using Wi-Fi more and more, using smart devices, streaming, WFH etc. etc.

Each one of those will use part of the bandwidth and the more of them you use the less there is to go around.

Then you have things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your responses. But you are missing the point. The power boosters are not doing what they claim to do. They are fine at talking to each other on the house. They can setup a network of any name I chose. But they will not relay the Internet signal which the base booster is plugged into via ethernet cable. This all happened when I plugged in the new hub4. Internet speeds and WiFi speeds are all fine. And my phone doesn't work with the new hub. To clarify, the new hub has caused all the problems. Does anyone know of a solution or is this a known problem.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

How does your phone not work with the hub?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Phone line working now. Engineer attended and fixed phone and reset booster. Powerline still not working. Engineer could not resolve. Said I had to call virgin again. 3 hours on hold from 3 calls and every time they hang up just after I get through. No call backs. Next call to ofcom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@stuartlwilliams wrote:

Phone line working now. Engineer attended and fixed phone and reset booster. Powerline still not working. Engineer could not resolve. Said I had to call virgin again. 3 hours on hold from 3 calls and every time they hang up just after I get through. No call backs. Next call to ofcom

On what basis?

Wifi connectivity and speeds aren’t guaranteed so you have no grounds for a complaint 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Once again Gary you change the subject. Clearly you have no knowledge or ability to address the problem which is virgin hub 4 will not work with Powerboosters supplied by virgin. If you can't help, don't post. 

0 Kudos