cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power line WiFi booster

Mickquinn27
Tuning in

Hi

does  a power line still work if the two sockets used are on different ring main I.e one upstairs ringmain and one downstairs electrical ringmain 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sprog1033
On our wavelength

Hi, yes they should work however you will not achieve the best throughput. Mine are connected on different MCCB circuits too and am still able to easily achieve over 100Mbps speeds though.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

sprog1033
On our wavelength

Hi, yes they should work however you will not achieve the best throughput. Mine are connected on different MCCB circuits too and am still able to easily achieve over 100Mbps speeds though.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Mickquinn27 wrote:

Hi

does  a power line still work if the two sockets used are on different ring main I.e one upstairs ringmain and one downstairs electrical ringmain 

It is likely to still work but at a significantly reduced speed if across two electrical circuits.

When I have tested my powerlines in the past (older HomePlug AV spec) the speed was reduced by 25% comparing the powerlines on the same ring main versus powerlines across ground floor and first floor rings. The effect on newer-spec powerline kit may not be quite so pronounced.

You can also get a reduction in speed if the power socket on the wall is a spur socket from a ring circuit rather than connected into the ring itself, even if the spur is on the same ring. Similar speed drops happen if you connect the powerline units into mains splitter adapters.