Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Power cut killed modem?

HI All

We had a power cut this morning and the virgin modem had problems starting back up. I reset it and now there is no lights at all when I turn it back on. I have used a electric detector on the cables to see if I have lost power again and they are showing as live so not a power issue. Now I know there is a fault in our area which virgin has told me about would this lead to no lights coming on the modem or is the modem dead. Just a little thing I am connected via a weak signal to a virgin media hotspot that someone nearby has working.

So is it the fault or is it my modem virgin think its the fault but with no lights on at all I would have thought its the modem I could be wrong.

Many thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Power cut killed modem?

Plug the hub into a socket or an extension lead you know works (by testing with another piece of equipment), and if there's no lights at all then your hub or power supply is dead, almost certainly killed by a power surge, and will need replacement.  If the problem were simply a fault on VM's network then whilst you might have no connection, the LED on the base of the hub should be flashing green as it searches for a connection.  If there's flashing green light all you can do is wait for the area fault to be fixed.

Let us know if that gets any result, and if need be I can flag for the forum staff to respond and they can get you a replacement hub posted out.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the reply. I tested the plug and that works and I can tell power is going to the modem. Its just not turning on, no lights at all if you could flag it as the person on the end of the phone told me it was the fault not my modem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sadly the person who told you that was wrong, and clearly does not know (in the most literal sense) the first thing about the technology they're supposed to be supporting.  If you turn on a hub and there's no cable connection due to a fault, the hub doesn't know that, it just sits there with the LED flashing forlornly as it tries to find a signal to lock onto.

If you wanted to look on the positive side, at least you got through on the phone, even if the advice was complete rubbish.  Luckily the forum staff are much more helpful and I'll flag this for their attention.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Warpedmedic, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you, I have taken the time to look into your services and can see there is an area outage at the moment for an SNR issue which is due to be fixed today 19 NOV 2020 18:00 (date and time is only estimate and may change)

I understand you feel this may not be the cause of the HUB's issue, however we can't do anything to resolve it until this SNR issue has been fixed, this is the correct process when an area outage is reported. 

So please come back to us tomorrow and we can have another look and try to investigate further once this has been completed.

Thanks, 

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Luckily the forum staff are much sometimes more helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi

There is no faults showing now on my virgin media and the modem still has not come on. No lights at all tried the plug that works, Tested the leads with a AC voltage detector power is going to the modem its just not turning on. Tested all the connections they are all OK. TV and phone all OK.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Warpedmedic,

Thanks for coming back with a rundown of your home network, please come back to us after 18:00 so we can check the outage again for you 🙂

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Stiil doesn't solve the issue with the hub not powering on though...? 🤔

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Warpedmedic

Sorry for the confusion, I've ordered you the hub replacement now. It'll be with you in 1-3 days

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos