cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power consumption SuperHub3 both modes

Luisb
Tuning in

I have currently a SH3 in router mode and doing all the WiFi coverage, this was a change a couple of years ago and I have managed to get fairly reasonable coverage across the house (thanks to having two entry points, so choosing best).

However with the change to a phone via the router, I am almost obliged to move the SH3 to the non-preferred position, which would mean (as I have Ethernet cabling) to place a router where the SH3 is (and maybe consider mesh if needed). But before making a decision, I wanted to have an idea of the impact on overall power usage.

The current setup in router mode + full wifi uses up around 12W baseline, with small peaks around 14-15W. When I turn off wifi (both bands), I seem to still be getting 12W, no real saving. I am wondering if anyone has any idea of the power consumption of the SH3 in modem mode? (if still 12W it would be a pity as any router would then add to the existing usage, I am hoping it might be a little less).

Thanks for any thoughts / data etc.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Its doubtful modem mode will use less power its likely the hub still powers the wifi even if not in use.
---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Its doubtful modem mode will use less power its likely the hub still powers the wifi even if not in use.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The power consumption will be primarily driven by the mathematically intensive processing required to make DOCSIS work, and I believe that's likely to be independent of the load as there's no standby or low power status, hence the high minimum power.  Wifi power use is usually partly load dependent and reflects the network traffic, I'd guess that would explain the peaking you see.

I think that means that you should save around 3-4W of peaking (built in) power use by the Hub 3 if running in modem mode, but then you'd have around 6-12W extra per router/access point.   

Thanks Andrew and Legacy1. Yes the fact that the power remains at 12W without any WiFi does suggest the extra 3/4W here and there are WiFi load related. I guess I am focussed on a low load situation which is after all most of the time. And yes, for sure each router/AP/mesh point will add 6-12 W from what I read, but I was half-hoping that this would not be the net overall increase.....

I agree the no-wifi test would suggest that probably you will still get around 12W in modem mode, so likely no savings.... I am just wondering if anyone out there is able to measure that (or has done it), just to close that book (I dont fancy changing it to modem mode and changing it back just to measure the power 🙂 ). Thanks again!

Hi @Luisb thanks for your post and I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised regarding the change of Hub location, due to the 21CV conversion.

I hope the answers provided by @Andrew-G and @legacy1 have helped you, but just for your reassurance all of the power levels within your Hub as things stand are completely within specifications so you shouldn't be experiencing any major issues.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further help!

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom_W1, thanks and appreciate your thoughts. I am happy that everything is within spec, all I was looking for was in fact either the spec or actual measurements of the typical power consumption of the SH3 in modem mode. I agree it is probably not going to be massively different from router mode though, as others have commented. But either way, it does not sound like there are any figures out there. If I do end up measuring it, and it is of any interest, I will let the community know :). Thanks again!