Menu
Static
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Potential FIX for WiFi Disconnections

If you’ve recently started to experience disconnections across many devices connected to your Hub 3 then this may well be the answer. 

A few weeks ago my WiFi began dropping out for around 30 seconds a time every few hours, upon checking my WiFi settings I found that VM had secretly activated the “Smart WiFi” feature on my Hub 3. 

Here’s the official description for this feature: 

“This feature regularly checks if you are on the right channel and channel width, minimizing interference and congestion as much as possible.” 

Essentially, this means that the hub will now periodically scan for nearby WiFi networks and change to a different channel to reduce interference, but unfortunately changing the channel actually causes all devices to be disconnected from your WiFi network for around 30 seconds while the channel changes and your devices reconnect. 

In short, this feature is good in theory but poor in practice. 

To check this feature hasn’t been enabled on your network: 

Visit http://192.168.0.1/ and login with your password (located on the bottom of your hub). 

In the menu on the left, navigate to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal. 

At the bottom of the page you will find the “Smart WiFi” section. Here tick the box labelled “Disable Channel Optimization” and apply the changes. 

IMG_0293.jpeg

Your WiFi will disconnect and reconnect one final time. You should now experience a large reduction in dropouts. 

Hope this helps. 

jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Potential FIX for WiFi Disconnections

@Static wrote:

If you’ve recently started to experience disconnections across many devices connected to your Hub 3 then this may well be the answer.

At the bottom of the page you will find the “Smart WiFi” section. Here tick the box labelled “Disable Channel Optimization” and apply the changes.

Hope this helps. 

Good tip.  Just make sure the final channel you end up connecting to is optimal in your environment.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Static
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

FF4D6AFC-37C5-498D-9A3F-D651D36ABFAE.jpeg

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

VM are completely out of their minds, introducing that feature!

They've just recreated in the Hub 3 the very condition that plagued the MacBook a couple of years ago until the Sierra OS was released.

Jeez.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Tudor
Hero
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Long live modem mode.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

This was one of the points I put to VM here, when I asked for clarification on exactly what the "smart WiFi" does.

I still have not had a reply from VM, but I never expected one as VM are very reluctant to divulge any details about their firmware as Seph knows only too well.

I just don't understand why they cannot produce changelogs when the firmware is upgraded like other vendors do.

0 Kudos
Static
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Anyone with a WiFi extender that broadcasts on the same channel as the Hub 3 will, as in my experience, be pulling their hair out, as upon every scan the Hub will attempt to jump channels. Not to mention the effect of neighbouring networks...

cje85
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Someone (superusers?) should raise this issue to VM as there have been a large number of posts regarding frequent WiFi drop outs and disconnections recently, and this seems to be the most likely cause.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I would never ever advise anyone to buy a WiFi extender or booster, money down the drain.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Happee_Meal
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

OP, do you think this was related to your hub updating to the latest .608 firmware. Only ask because exactly the same happened to me, but I don't know what version of the firmware I was on before the problems started. Wondering what the difference between 603 and 608 is
0 Kudos