Menu
Jonesy127
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Possible conflicts with TP-Link Deco P9s?

I’ve recently moved from plusnet fibre to Virgin M110 fibre.

I was already using powerline adapters to distribute the wired connection around the house from the modem/router in the hall, and also some TP-Link Deco P9s for wifi.

I only have 2 sockets available in the hall. One is taken up with a powerline adapter, the other is for a surge protected 6-gang extension lead, which is accommodating the plug installed by the technician (from the internal wall box), the hub’s power supply, and the main Deco.

I have an ethernet cable connecting the powerline adapter to the hub, and another ethernet cable connecting the main Deco to the hub.

Things seemed fine with the Hub 3, but I am experiencing some disconnections (of both wired and wireless connections), and the hub restarting.

I’m guessing I’ve caused some sort of conflict. The hub is in router mode and the Decos are in Wireless Router mode.

I tried setting the hub to modem mode, but it would not then connect to the internet. The Virgin Media helpline were helpful, and reset my hub to modem mode, all seemed good, but later everything stopped again.

Rang the helpline again, who set in back to router mode and I’m back where I was.

I’m struggling a bit with some understanding, but should the hub be in modem mode, and the main Deco be in Access Point mode?

Have I connected the ethernet cables incorrectly? Or something else?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possible conflicts with TP-Link Deco P9s?

You're right that you need to either have the Hub in modem mode and the Deco in router mode, OR you need the hub in router mode, and the Deco in access point mode.  With two routers on a network there's all manner of odd problems as they squabble over control of devices.

Regarding the powerline networking - the P9 is a decent grade of kit, why not abandon the powerline adaptors and plug ethernet kit into the nearest Deco unit?

My reckoning (as a Deco M4 owner) is that wherever possible it is best to have the hub in modem mode, and use the router built into the mesh system.  Design-wise, the Hub 3 pre-dates mesh systems, and was always a cheapskate piece of kit, so the less you give it to do the better, as I see it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Jonesy127
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andruser, thanks for the reply.

I thought there might be an issue with both being in router mode. But what I don't understand is, when the helpdesk were able to remotely change the hub to modem mode (and with the Decos unchanged in wireless router mode), why did it later fail and not restart?

That's sort of a rhetorical question - I'm next expecting you to know! 😉

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If I’m reading your post correctly, you have two Ethernet cables plugged into the VM hub. When in modem mode you can only have one Ethernet cable plugged into your hub, any other devices that require Ethernet connection must be plugged into the Deco or a network switch off of the Deco.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Jonesy127 wrote:

<snip>

I only have 2 sockets available in the hall. One is taken up with a powerline adapter, the other is for a surge protected 6-gang extension lead, which is accommodating the plug installed by the technician (from the internal wall box), the hub’s power supply, and the main Deco.

<snip>

Your key issues are the ones which have already been addressed by @Andruser and @Tudor but, as a minor point, I believe the P9 also has its own powerline feature as a backhaul/backup to the satellite units. If you have the main Deco plugged into a mains splitter (as opposed direct to a wall socket on a ring main or radial circuit), that generally makes quite a reduction in the speed of any powerline connection.

0 Kudos
Jonesy127
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate all the advice so far. So it sound like, what I need to do is:

• Dispense with the powerline plug, and plug the main Deco directly in to the wall instead
  • Connect the VM Hub to the Deco via ethernet
  • Have the VM Hub in modem mode, with the Deco in Wireless Router mode

Have I understood correctly?

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Jonesy127 wrote:

<snip>    Have I understood correctly?

Yes, that's it.   You may need an unmanaged switch connected to the Deco as well, if you need more ethernet points.

0 Kudos
Jonesy127
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So...

...set the VM Hub to modem mode, plugged main Deco in to wall, connected VM Hub and Deco via ethernet.

Wireless worked, but no wired connection from the other powerline sockets in the house. Do I need to reset them or pair them??

During the time I was thinking about this, wireless dropped out again, so no internet at all.

I tried resetting main Deco which in hindsight was a mistake, given I had no internet 😠

No option but to ask helpline to reboot Hub in router mode which gave me wireless back, then re-add the Deco network.

So currently VM in router mode and have wireless (from hub and Deco), but no wired network. What should I do next?

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jonesy127,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having setting this up. 

Just to confirm if you have just the Hub 3 are you having any issues with disconnections? And are all the ports on the back of the Hub 3 working?

^Martin

0 Kudos