Menu
sekhonp
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Port forwarding on Hub 5

Just got a new Hub 5. Everything I use (e.g. custom wifi settings, custom DHCP ranges) was okay except for port fowarding. When trying to setup a custom port forwarding rule get an error "Sorry! There was an error while updating your settings. Please try again a bit later."

Technical support at Virgin Media no help at all, saying "We'll its a new Hub maybe it doesnt work or maybe it will work later" 😞

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Port forwarding on Hub 5

Maybe it only works with hubs default DHCP range

or just get your own better router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
sekhonp
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just discovered something else that is very wrong with Hub 5 and port forwarding. I had disabled UPNP and there were no port forwarding rules. However now, a day later, I have seen new port forwarding rules appear from devices on my network with "Automatically added by UPnP". This is despite still not being to add the custom port forwarding rules I want to add. It would appear that the router is not honouring the configuration that shows UPNP is disabled!

Hub 5 seems full of bugs!

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Legend
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Why wasn't a proper trial conducted before this new product was dumped on ordinary users, who now have to find the bugs/features?

Grunthos73
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Same issue here, just installed a new HUB 5 and started configuring the rules needed for my personal VPN and get the same error. All worked perfectly on my previous HUB 3.

Not impressed I can't believe a setting as significant as this is not working.

So my advice is if you need port forwarding do not upgrade yet and stick with your current HUB.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
sekhonp
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yup I reverted back to the Hub 3. Required calling Virgin as the old device had been blocked.

As well as broken port forwarding configuration. The fact that it was ignoring the UPNP disabled setting was a massive security hole as various UPNP enabled applications and devices had been allowed to open up ports on the Hub.

0 Kudos
Grunthos73
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Following up from this the port forwarding rules do work but only if you use an IP address 192.168.0.10 or above. On all previous Hubs I have used fixed IP on the connected device below this IP.
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The Hub 5 has recently moved from "trials" to "soft launch" and is still being updated as bugs are found.  If you can't get it to work. just ask for a Hub 3 or 4 to replace it as it's not fit for purpose.

Or use it in modem mode and get a better proper Router from Asus, Netgear, Linksys etc.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Grunthos73 wrote:
Following up from this the port forwarding rules do work but only if you use an IP address 192.168.0.10 or above. On all previous Hubs I have used fixed IP on the connected device below this IP.

So its a feature😋

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

VM seems to lock down a lot of the feature in their hubs in the misguided assumption that if the user cannot change it there is less for them to get wrong, so it will mean they get less service calls. How very wrong they are!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Tags (1)