cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forwarding is not working (driving me mad)

cheektocheek
Joining in

Hello everyone,

I have the latest Virgin Media Hub and I've been trying to setup port forwarding without any success. No matter what port I try, online port scanners show them as closed, even 80. I have disabled my software's firewall and my hubs firewall along with setting a port forwarding rule but nothing.

I have even tried DMZing my machine but this still does not make it work. What am I missing?

11 REPLIES 11

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
because a port needs to be open on the device
http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/utility/portlistener/
---------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever port I choose I get "Listening on tcp port xxxx". How am I supposed to be testing this?

Maybe you don't need Port forwarding if you don't understand?

Port Listener is simple to use you enter a port you start it allow it by firewall if you done your Port forwarding right you scan for that port it shows open.

I use the various online port checkers and they show my ports as closed even port 80. Shouldn't port 80 show as open as this is what web traffic uses?

@cheektocheek wrote:

I use the various online port checkers and they show my ports as closed even port 80. Shouldn't port 80 show as open as this is what web traffic uses?

Does not work like that, going to a site thats port 80 like http://www.rjlsoftware.com/ you use a random source port and destination port 80 the NAT in router mode may choose to use the same source port but same destination port 80 then the incoming reply is mapped back by the NAT to your device.

Having port 80 open for Port forwarding is where traffic from the internet from a source port goes to destination port 80 to the NAT and is mapped to a LAN IP and the reply mapped back out to the internet. 

Where does that leave me with regards to my issue?

What is your issue? what are you trying to do for what?

I am trying to open port 2319 for a game however I have been unable to. Even if I DMZ my pc it still doesn't work.

Its likely UDP which scan sites can't really test for like TCP but DMZ should have worked.

It might be the hub is just that bad that you need to get a better router with 1Gb ports and use hub in modem mode.