Menu
jkj22
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Port Forwarding

My question is, does this activity appear to be normal and is port forwarding something that was set up automatically?

It says "automatically added by UPnP", in the end box but from what I have researched, I understand that for port forwarding, static IP addresses are required on the device in question, which has to be set up manually? Also when I leave the page I get the message, "You made some changes to your port forwarding settings. Leaving the page without saving them will result in you losing your settings." I didn't set this Port Forwarding up, so I'm just concerned that this suggests that someone else has been accessing my router, as I have had serious security issues in the past.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Port Forwarding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
jkj22
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the link. Sorry, I meant to say that the port forwarding was set up for two Xbox consoles and whilst one of the consoles is using port 3047 which I believe is to do with Xbox live, the other Xbox, (which wasn't even switched on at the time) had port forwarding active using port 50124. I don't know if this makes any difference? Thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

no. upnp is a service that lets a network device open ports it needs.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

View the link provided above.

Basically any device connected to your network can ask the router to open a port up and forward it.  You can disable UPnP if you don't like this feature, but it can mean you setting up a lot of forwarding rules manually.  

UPnP is just automatic port forwarding.  The good thing is that the ports should become non-forward (and as such closed) after a specific time, and it allows the port to be used by more than one device (not at the same time) and allows the device to move IP.  Generally Port Forwarding is good and you shouldn't worry.  I am not saying it cant be exploited, just that generally it's of no concern and you will benefit from not having to set up those rules yourself.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
jkj22
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ok great. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Much appreciated! 🙂

0 Kudos