cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding port 443 Doesn't Work

DWO
Joining in

Hey there,

I have been trying to port forward port 443 for a Caddy + Jellyfin Docker installation. However, the port forwarding doesn't seem to be working. I've had a friend verify using nmap and my public ip. When they tried it, port 80 was open but port 443 was closed. He also tried it when I disabled my computer's firewall temporarily and it lead to the same outcome.

Here is a screenshot of my port forwarding rules:

DWO_0-1630082495407.png

I am using the SuperHub 3 in router mode but with WiFi disabled.

Does anyone know what the issue could be? Is Virgin blocking port 443?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hey there,

I would just like to say that I fixed the issue. The problem was we had a DVR system that was automatically forwarding ports 443 and 80 to itself using uPnP. Once, disabling this, port 443 was working as expected and the Jellyfin Docker container can now be accessed through my domain. Thank you for the help though!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM do not block port 443. The port has to be open for it to show up, that means the device must have the app open. you can use various web apps to check this out yourself, watsmyip.org port scanners.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hey, I've setup a simple node.js https server listening on port 443 but it still doesn't shop up as open on those port scanner websites. When I go to https://<my public ip> in chrome it just comes up with "Access to <public ip> denied". I tried it on a completely different machine with it directly plugged into the back of the hub 3 but still the same issue. I've also verified no other service was listening on port 443.

sophist
Trouble shooter

is this a container you're running within docker? have you passed a port from your pc through to the container, and is it port 443 on your computer?

port forwarding on the hub3 works just fine..

when you run netstat -an | find "LISTEN" do you see anything listening on port 443?

Hey there,

I would just like to say that I fixed the issue. The problem was we had a DVR system that was automatically forwarding ports 443 and 80 to itself using uPnP. Once, disabling this, port 443 was working as expected and the Jellyfin Docker container can now be accessed through my domain. Thank you for the help though!