cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding Not Working - Hub 3.0

Kill3rCat
On our wavelength

No port forwarding I do seems to be working. Every port checker says the ports are closed; for every port I try (even common ones like port 80). I am pretty sure I've configured it correctly (see below image), but it doesn't work all the same

I should mention I have tried disabling all firewalls (Avast, Windows Defender, and the firewall in the Hub settings, etc.). Nothing works.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kill3rCat 

To sum up my earlier posts into one.

1. Download and install nmap on your target machine
  2. shut down the game server.  No one can see it anyway and it'll just interfering with testing the port forwarding at this point.
  3. Consider deleting all your current port forwarding rules and starting from scratch.
  4. Either create your first rule or make a note of the ports and protocols in use on your first existing rule.
  5. Make sure you know which protocols are used by which ports.
  6. Open two CMD windows
  7. In the first type the following depending on whether you are testing UDP or TCP type the following
    ncat -lp <port number>     TCP connections
    ncat -lup <port number>   UDP connections

Note: Once you've done this the cursor will move to the next line and nothing will appear to happen.  Don't worry, Ncat is listening for connections.

8. In the second window type the following:
    ncat <public IP address> <port number>  TCP connections
    ncat -u <public IP address> <port number>  UDP connections

Again the  cursor will move down but you won't see a command prompt.
  9. In either window type some text and press enter.  The text should appear in the other window.  If it does, then you know that that particular rule is working.
  10. Use CTRL+C in each CMD window to shut down the ncat instances.
  11. Once you've got one port working, move on to the next.

FUN FACT - Depending on whether you are using TCP or UDP you'll see different behaviours when closing down one side of the connection.

• TCP - closing one side will automatically close the other.
  • UDP - You'll have to close each side separately.

Again this is normal behaviour and demonstrates the difference between a connection orientated protocol like TCP and a connectionless protocol such as UDP.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

52 REPLIES 52

sophist
Trouble shooter

i've read, though not confirmed for myself, that the hub3 port forwarding needs to be configured in ascending order.

other things to check if that doesn't work;

1. create a dhcp reservation for .12 on the hub..

2. check that there are actually services running on those ports (netstat is your friend)- if you have a port forward configured but there's nothing listening on 192.168.0.12:7777, for example, then a port scanner will show port 7777 as closed 

Kill3rCat
On our wavelength

Just did both of those (ascending order and DHCP), no joy. What do you mean about the second one?

Port forwarding is not tested by VM or supported so either it don't work or user error so you need to use modem mode on the hub and get your own router with 1Gb ports.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Kill3rCat
On our wavelength

Really? That's pretty shabby.

All I'm trying to do is host a server for a game, but nobody can see that server because I can't do port forwarding.

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kill3rCat wrote:

I should mention I have tried disabling all firewalls (Avast, Windows Defender, and the firewall in the Hub settings, etc.). Nothing works.

I seem to recall that the port forwarding in the hub 3 is done by the hub's firewall, so the firewall has to be enabled in the hub's settings or it won't work.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kill3rCat wrote:

Really? That's pretty shabby.

All I'm trying to do is host a server for a game, but nobody can see that server because I can't do port forwarding.

@Kill3rCat If you have a look at legacy1's posts on other threads this is their standard boilerplate response to most issues.

While a third party router is a much better option, the Hub 3 is usually capable of port forwarding.  I would agree that it has had issues in the past (like the ports needing to be in ascending order) and may still have issues, but to suggest it is not supported at all is just a lie.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Kill3rCat
On our wavelength

Thanks. I read that too somewhere; doesn't make any odds whether the firewall is on or off, so I left it on.

Kill3rCat
On our wavelength
Thanks @SCA1972. What do you propose? I'm completely at a loss here, tried everything I can think of.

I read on the Tom's Hardware forum that port forwarding is completely impossible if your ISP uses Carrier-grade NAT; I also noted that the IPv4 address reported by ipconfig differs from that reported by online services. Could this be the issue?

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kill3rCat wrote:
Thanks @SCA1972. What do you propose? I'm completely at a loss here, tried everything I can think of.

I read on the Tom's Hardware forum that port forwarding is completely impossible if your ISP uses Carrier-grade NAT; I also noted that the IPv4 address reported by ipconfig differs from that reported by online services. Could this be the issue?

You could try putting the hub into modem mode and see if the ports are open then.  In modem mode all Internet traffic on all ports is sent unadulterated to a single device, usually a third party router, but can be any device like a PC or game console.  If they are not open then the issue is not with the hub, if they are open then it is the port forwarding that is not working.

Can I just check you are in the UK, yes?  I think VM Ireland do something different with NAT, but don't know the specifics.