Menu
Aspland12
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Poor wifi

Why is the WiFi so poor outside of the room it is positioned in? 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor wifi

If it is a wifi only issue (is it?), t hen on a Hub3 (do you have one?), you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to “some customers” but most will be charged £5/month and right now they dont have enough supplies to provide them - unless you have a demonstrable wifi issue.

And at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi problems.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Molly_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor wifi

Hi @Aspland12,

Many thanks for your recent post! I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with WiFi at the moment.

Have you seen an improvement following John's advice regarding separating the WiFi bands? This often helps certain devices perform better.

Also, just to confirm - are you experiencing similar issues with any wired connections at all? This might be able to help us narrow down the issue.

Let us know if you're needing any further assistance!

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos