cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor wifi signal within house from hub

SebsterUK
Tuning in

Evening, had Virgin fibre WiFi for a couple of months. A test of speeds when beside hub shows reading of 120mbps which is great yet my daughter studying just 5 metres away through a stud wall keeps having an interrupted signal and really low readings when working online or on a teams call to a tutor.

I have restarted/reset hub several times and checked all connections to no avail. We only have a maximum of 3 devices running at any time and even when we disconnect everything to let her study, she still has problems.

Any suggestions?  Surely the standard box should be able to pump a signal 5 metres through a stud wall? Thanks. Seb. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do you qualify for free "pods"?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/wifi-max

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Not if the stud wall is lined with aluminium foil insulating material ! Do you know if it is?

That said.. whats the wifi signal like in other areas of the house?

TBH... for important teams/zoom meetings - I would always advise connecting the device on an ethernet cable. Can you run some Cat6a cable from a Hub port into that room? There are other options if not

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John, I've no idea if wall is foil lined but the inferior talk talk phone line wifi didn't have the same issue before with hub in similar place. Unable to connect office devices to hub with ethernet cables without significant work concealing them. If I knew previous Internet signal had also been poor I would put the effort in to hardwire.

Is there a likelihood of hub being faulty and not boosting signal.out as far as it should. It's not like we live in a massive old stone walled house.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do you qualify for free "pods"?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/wifi-max

--------------------
John
--------------------

Dunno but I'll give it a go thanks. Seb