Menu
TruthRuth0
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Poor wifi signal with Hub 3

Hi I have had worsening wifi since having Hub 3 which has been about a year. I have been a virgin media customer for about 10 years now but enough is enough and I am going to go to another more reliable provider once my contract is up (5months). I received a  replacement Hub 3 because they said it was faulty...... this one is even worse. My wifi drops off all over the house now every couple minutes ( max speed is SUPPOSED to be 100bpm). The CS agent agreed that we have a very weak wifi signal.They wont send an engineer out and said that "Virgin Media cant guarantee a wifi signal.The only way we can guarantee that is a wired connection."  I explained that the other 3 adults in the house use their phones for wifi and one ipad as well as mine. Are they suggesting that i wire these devices up? They pursuaded me to get a wifi booster.I asked them was is a Netgear booster becuase i have bought several of these none of which improve the signal. The CS agent assured me that they were not Netgear. I am  dubious about the efficiacy of the wifi boosters after looking at some genuine reviews. I also asked if an extended coaxial wire would help to reposition the router. She said that there would be a £90 service charge which i am not prepared to pay. BTW I have positioned my router in the best place possible considering the short length of wire to wall.

My question is this: would it be better to swith the router to modem only and buy a more reliable router to connect to that?

To conclude, I have had my fill of VM and would now rather have slower speed but improved reliable  Wifi connection.

0 Kudos
Cmrobertson33
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor wifi signal with Hub 3

Hi

I had have a similar issue before when using my laptop. I have used a wired connection and recorded the speed? Most Ethernet cards can cope with a 100bpm. If if shows a speed issue there, I would call again and say you don't get a good enough speed through a wired connection and let them investigate. If the speed is fine, this might be a WiFi adapter issue on your device or I have had a compatibility issue using VPNs through Virgin Media.

If still no luck, raise a complaint through their website and continue to escalate until a resolution is provided.

Are you within your minimum contract length? If not, always say you will cancel the service.

Hope this helps and your issue gets resolved.

0 Kudos
TruthRuth0
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. How do you check what minimum contract lenth is?
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@TruthRuth0 wrote:

My question is this: would it be better to switch the router to modem only and buy a more reliable router to connect to that?

Short answer is yes - it would be "better".  You would have a router with much better specs and features as well as a much improved wifi performance.  It may not completely cure your individual wifi woes if you are suffering from interference from "geography" or neighbouring wifi sources.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
TruthRuth0
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Please could you recommend a good router and would I be able to install myself? Ii have little tech experience of setting up more complicated stuff.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
TruthRuth0
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks
0 Kudos