Menu
MikeBox
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Poor wifi signal in home - Zoom calls also mobile calls both cutting out.

I have a 200Mb package from Virgin Media for cable broadband, landline & mobile phone.

For some weeks now I've been having problems with poor mobile phone reception within my home and also with Zoom video calls cutting out, when connected via wi-fi to my home network. 

My Hub 3.0 router is situated upstairs connected to my Desktop PC both by cable and wi-fi. My Zoom meetings are usually downstairs on a laptop also connected to the wi-fi network.

This despite speed a check (on my Desktop PC) confirming I'm usually getting around 200Mb/s upload speed (although today this was only 180) I've gone through the process of resetting my Hub 3.0 and also followed the online help pages to diagnose any problems which resulted with my "home network has a few problems" and suggested I moved the other device (iPhone 6) closer to the Hub 3.0.  

Today I carried out a full reset of my Hub 3.0 router (didn't change anything as far as I could determine) and also carried out download speed tests on my iPhone 6 (connected by wi-fi to my network) I did this numerous times whilst it was less than 3 foot away from the Hub 3.0 - and speeds are always less than 20Mb/s. Even with wi-fi switched off on my desktop PC (but still connected by cable to Hub 3.0) and no other devices attached the download speed remained similarly low.

I phoned Virgin Media helpline and spoke to a lady named Suruchi and explained the problem and asked for an engineer to call out. I said that I suspected a fault in the router, as I understood a yellow "wi-fi" light should be on  - whereas only the main whitish power light at the bottom front of the Hub 3.0 is alight.  She said she was very familiar with Hub 3.0 that there should not be any yellow "wi-fi" light showing - I told he the online help pages indicated that there should be such a light and she said the pages must be wrong. She checked and said my PC was "wi-fi heavy"  or something to that effect and I told her it was (also) connected to the router by cable, and the only other device was my mobile which I had tested right close by the Hub 3.0.

Despite my pressing for an engineer to call to investigate she said she could not arrange this - as she could see nothing wrong but would pass on my comments to some colleagues to look into further, which might take a few days. I asked if they would let me know the outcome but she said they would not, and said I should just monitor the signal strength and (left me to deduce) that I should get back in touch if the problem is not resolved.

All in all not a pretty unsatisfactory demonstration of customer service! (particularly after spending ages going around in circles trying to access help via the online help pages, to no avail)

A posting on this forum suggested a mobile number (07533 051809) to text enquiries to with a view to arranging support / engineer if necessary, and so I have now also texted that number asking for assistance to resolve my problem.

I have mentioned that I am already considering changing providers due to the increased cost of my Virgin Media services - and as BT cabling is now in place in my area which means I can access cheaper services from a variety of other providers.

I don't however particularly want to have to take this course of action - but if my enquiry is not promptly dealt with I will certainly be investigating alternative service providers in the very near future.

• If anyone has had any similar experiences or has any suggestions / feedback on content of my posting I would be grateful to hear from them.

Many thanks

Mr M D Box 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor wifi signal in home - Zoom calls also mobile calls both cutting out.

What are your wired speeds like?

Wireless speeds and connectivity aren’t guaranteed. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
MikeBox
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for comment.

Wired download speed on PC seems the same as via wi-fi. (PC is situated right next to Hub 3.0)

But surely something must be wrong when at same time download speed on mobile phone via same wi-fi network when also situated right close to Hub 3.0 is only 1/10 of that speed?

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi MikeBox, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. i have checked local and area issues and everything is coming back as green. Can you set up a BQM here and let it monitor for a fee days ^Chris  

0 Kudos