Menu
FyreGun
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Poor wifi service

HI all, we've been having trouble for months with poor wifi speeds and internet randomly dropping out (both ethernet and wifi connected devices) engineer came round and everything was ok for him and would look no further into problems due to COVID.

Tuesday internet was cutting out during conference calls for work so thought that's it I'll change provider, when we called to cancel Virgin gave us a deal on 200mbs and stated that would solve all our problems......

So today again I've been working from home and monitoring the wifi speeds, so far I have 9 tests that give me 13mb/s and 2 that give 100+mb/s (2 hours apart with a 13mb/s in between) any one have any suggestions how to get a consistent wifi signal?

Also while on phone last night operator stated there is 19 connected devices, when I've gone into the router it only shows 5, is there a way I can view previously connected devices (old tablets, consoles, laptops etc)

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor wifi service

'....we called to cancel Virgin gave us a deal on 200mbs and stated that would solve all our problems......"

Mmmm.... well it succeeded in getting you on a new 12/18 mo contract anyway. You say that the wired connections are dropping out as well as wifi ones - so that suggests the issues are related to your Hub/connection and not just wifi. But lets see some data to shed light on that. Can you follow this procedure...

----
First do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any splitters/attenuators/etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

Then do a Hub “pinhole reset” - disconnect any ethernet cables and with the Hub "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool and hold it there for 60 seconds – release the pin then leave it 10’ to stabilise. But, make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first !

Then, post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon at top right (on SH2’s) or the text at bottom-middle of first page up (on a Hub3) and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button a second time).

Also, in the meantime, if you haven’t already, set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” (as per instructions on the TB website) when you have the first 24h period.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
FyreGun
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for swift reply, I will do the pin hole once I am past work hours, don't want the hassle of having to reconnect the laptop in case someone wants me haha- though knowing my luck it'll break the superhub 3 anyway. 

I've got the monitor running but it's only been on an hour or so, will upload it once I've got 24 hours. Cables are all secured and checked the other month by engineer and were of sound quality.

Going back a few years (when we had similar issues) the engineer that came then found we were one of the furthest from the junction box and were at the bottom, he moved us up to the top connection, since then we've had a new build opposite us. If we have been moved down the box again could this have an impact on the network stability (engineer other month tried to say we were talking rubbish haha)

0 Kudos
FyreGun
Joining in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

StartTime StopTime Up Duration (seconds)
18/09/2020 16:08 18/09/2020 16:14 TRUE 399.1736045
18/09/2020 16:08 18/09/2020 16:08 FALSE 3.0077772
18/09/2020 16:08 18/09/2020 16:08 TRUE 3.0260651
18/09/2020 16:08 18/09/2020 16:08 FALSE 1.00415
18/09/2020 16:06 18/09/2020 16:08 TRUE 68.4907177
18/09/2020 16:06 18/09/2020 16:06 FALSE 1.0051228
18/09/2020 16:06 18/09/2020 16:06 TRUE 13.0572091
18/09/2020 16:06 18/09/2020 16:06 FALSE 2.0113967
18/09/2020 16:01 18/09/2020 16:06 TRUE 290.6799317
The file is generated by StarTrinity Continuous Speed Test software. Write an email to support@startrinity.com in case of any problems

Not sure if that helps but that just shows over 12 minutes how often the signal drops!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Post up the Hub stats and Logs and a link to the BQM.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Hollie_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @FyreGun 

Thank you for your post. Apologies for the delay in response and the broadband issues you've been having, I appreciate this would be frustrating. 

How is the service today? Have you since been able to complete a BQM so that we can take a look in to this for you? 

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
FyreGun
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Its behaving quite well at the minute... touchwood. Here is the BQM link, I'm not sure what I'm looking at though haha.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Although you say its fine, it doesn't look too great to me (packet drops) - perhaps @Hollie_B can comment and look in your connection stats/logs for any clues.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi FyreGun,

Many apologies for our delayed response. 

Can you let us know if you've had any further issues with your connection or has it been stable recently?

I haven't been able to find your account so I have been unable to check your hub specs, however if you are still having problems let me know and I'll send you a private message.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
FyreGun
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Yeah it's still dropping out. Last night it went down for 5 minutes for seemingly no reason.

0 Kudos