Menu
IanPerkins
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Poor wifi connection

I have been having issues with my wi-fi for quite some time. Actually not me, as my PC is wired but other users around the house. I have tried using an extender. I have tried it in various rooms. I have tried resetting it.

Right now I've been following through all the guidance on the Virgin Media website. I've reset the hub, I've downloaded the connect app and checked for blackspots. I've run speed tests in various rooms.

Wired my speeds are 110 and 10 on the test I've just done. Is there a way of testing which device/s are using the most bandwidth? We currently have (up to) 4 phones and one laptop that could be used but are never used all at once. Could you offer some suggestions?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor wifi connection

Have you split the wifi bands and chosen less congested channels for them?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
IanPerkins
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I don't understand what that means. Could you explain?

0 Kudos
IanPerkins
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Using the Virgin Media Connect app I have paused all but one device and tested speeds throughout the house and this has made no difference to the poor connection. Moving from the room with the hub to a room downstairs and one room over (about 10m direct) and the speed drops to 15 and 6 from 110 and 10.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

See this "How" to for Gary's suggestion.

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password if you like,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 
Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.

5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
IanPerkins
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John.

I'll give this a try and let you know how it goes. Just to be clear, the wi-fi hub has two different networks? I've only ever seen the one when joining the network, plus the extender one of course.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes you will only see one that is the idea.. it merges the 2 bands into one SSID and leaves it up to the device to select/switch to the best band and so allows for seamless roaming. It just doesn't work that well on the Hub3 for some users in challenging wifi environments.

So separating them is a return to the old SH2's way of doing things

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@IanPerkins wrote:

Thanks John.

I'll give this a try and let you know how it goes. Just to be clear, the wi-fi hub has two different networks? I've only ever seen the one when joining the network, plus the extender one of course.

Extenders will always be slower as well. So turn that off when testing your speeds. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos