Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor signal on Deco M5s

zudecke
On our wavelength

Hi, 

I live in a very small 2 br flat with Virgin Media Hub 3.0 and Deco m5 

In the living room, where the "main" Deco unit is (connected to the Hub in Modem Mode), I am getting speeds of 100mbps.

However, venturing anywhere further nearer the the other two Deco units, I'll only get speeds of 1 to 4 mpbs, with frequent total dropouts in between.

Could this be at all related to the Hub itself, or can I rule it out? 

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the main unit is ok then it's down to the Deco units somewhere. What is the colour of the LED on the hub3?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

zudecke
On our wavelength

Hi - colour on Hub is red, as it's in modem mode..

This really exacerbated after I rebooted my whole system. So I find it difficult to believe they Deco units suddenly vegetated a hardware fault. 

Hi @zudecke 

the remote units will only be able to pass on the speed they are receiving from the main Deco, it sounds like you have some kind of interference affecting the Wi-Fi in your home.

You could look in the Deco app for optimisation tools or somewhere you can change the Wi-Fi channels, that may help. Or alternatively try repositioning the units. You should place them no further than 10m from each other and not necessarily in the rooms with the black spots.

If you are in modem modem and getting full speed off the main unit you can safely rule out the VM hub or network.

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more