Menu
IainWEdin
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Poor quality Broadband

Hello,

I have just recently upgraded my package to the faster broadband speed (500Mbps) and have not changed any of my equipment or the position of my equipment. 

Before, on the slower package, I could sit anywhere in the house and get a connection, albeit a little slow if all the devices were on the network at the same time. Now, we have to practically sit on top of the hub to get a good connection and it is rubbish throughout the house. I have recently installed a TP link booster in the Kitchen (which is picking up the Wi-Fi but not boosting very well) and we have a power line booster in my daughters bedroom which was fine before but now poor. 

My thoughts are that either my hub (3) is not up to the job anymore or that Virgin are restricting something somewhere. I can’t help but think it’s coincidence that just recently I’ve been getting information about having Wi-Fi boosters from them for £5 a month (cynical, I know) and it’s getting really frustrating now. 

I’m in the Edinburgh area (in the city, not outskirts) and really should not be getting this issue at all. 

Can anyone help with any information at all because I’m on the verge of going to buy a new hub etc. To see if I can improve it myself!

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor quality Broadband

Hi there

Thanks for your post. 

Have you tried giving the modem a 30 second pin reset to ensure that the new service codes for 500mbps are all activated and working.

Once you have done the pin reset, I would advise logging into the Virgin Media connect app and completing a WiFi walk to ensure that the Hub is optimised for you and your house.

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
IainWEdin
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor quality Broadband

Hi, 

Thanks for the response. 

I haven’t tried a 30 second pin reset (didn’t know it was a thing to be fair) but we are getting the full bandwidth when we’re in sight of the hub. Does that mean it is working or should I still try the full reset? (I will anyway but thought it worth asking). 

0 Kudos