Menu
Johndodds12
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Poor poor poor wifi signal

Yet again the same problem as a lot of people, I have tge new Hub 4 where the signal in the house is really good averages 866mb but as soon as you step outside the back door it drops faster than a Premier League striker going down for a penalty after zero contact. Two steps out dropped to 27mbs

Managed to get through to VM who are now sending out one of the new Mesh boosters, hopefully this will resolve my problem.

I haven't sent my old gear back yet due to the problems I have been having, if the new Mesh booster doesn't work its back to hub 3 for me.

Hub 4 seemed like a good idea???????

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Poor poor poor wifi signal

@Johndodds12 wrote:

Yet again the same problem as a lot of people, I have tge new Hub 4 where the signal in the house is really good averages 866mb but as soon as you step outside tge back door it drops faster than a Premier League striker going down for a penalty after zero contact.

Managed to get through to VM who are now sending out one of the new Mesh boosters, hopefully this will resolve my problem.

I haven't sent my old gear back yet due to the problems I have been having, if the new Mesh booster doesn't work its back to hub 3 for me.

Hub 4 seemed like a good idea???????

the hubs are notoriously bad wifi routers. give the pod a try, see how it performs. there's not a huge amount of feedback on them yet as they're relatively new.  if it's just a wifi problem though, and the connection is otherwise stable, then you always have the option of buying your own wifi kit.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Did you take Hub 4 as part of Gig1 package or was it offered as upgrade, either way its unlikely they will let you swap the kit back.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Gigabit 5G Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
Johndodds12
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I took it as a Gig 1 package broadband only

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Johndodds12 wrote:

you're stuck with teh hub4 then i think - the hub 3 doesn't support docsis 3.1. 

jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@tehwolf wrote:

@Johndodds12 wrote:

you're stuck with teh hub4 then i think - the hub 3 doesn't support docsis 3.1. 

Quite right, it’s either stick with the hub 4 or downgrade your speed to 500 Mb/s and frankly, even then, I suspect you will have a real fight to get VM to send you a hub 3. Personally if the general performance of the hub 4 is OK then I’d stick with it and start looking at getting your own hardware to manage the WiFi.

0 Kudos
Johndodds12
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I still have the Hub 3 and Tivo box, not sent it back yet, I will be holding on to it to see if the mesh booster works, if not well that's another discussion.

I've already had two texts from VM about having them collected, amazing how quick they can contact you when they want something back. If only they applied that to getting through on the phone when you require help!!!!

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Johndodds12 wrote:

Amazing how quick they can contact you when they want something back. If only they applied that to getting through on the phone when you require help!!!!

The joy of automated systems, there stance on it currently is supposed to relaxed on getting kit back as people aren't supposed to be leaving home, they have said they are not pushing for returns 'yet' but I'm sure they are gonna have to start collecting them soon as they are surely going to run out with all the replacements that may or may not have been sent out in the past 6-12 months.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Gigabit 5G Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos