Menu
psmithson
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Poor coverage wifi

Hi. I’ve been told by your team to contact you regarding poor coverage and that yiu could order me pods to increase reception. I’ve calked your service team over 100 times and they refuse to help. I get better reception from houses three doors away, so have to connect to their BT set up to allow my kids to log on to lessons. If this doesn’t work I’ll have to terminate my contact. Please help, I’m at the end of my tether. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Poor coverage wifi

VM now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those. There are stock supply issues at the moment though.

Otherwise, you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever

Get either a…

(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2) & (3)..

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
psmithson
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi John, thanks for that. They would be great but they never have them in stock. I asked if they could order some to send out but they won’t...you have to go through the torture of their call centre ( min wait 45 minutes if you’re lucky enough to not get cut off) then they tell you they’re out of stock. Customer care is as abysmal as the reception I pay £130 a month for. I’ve never known a retailer like them, truly appalling service.still blaming coronavirus one year one. But cheers they are exactly what I need, even though the router shoukd be good enough without them. I get good reception from a BT router three houses away, so they let me use that so my kids can log on for school. 
cheers 

Pete 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If they are not free to you - dont spend the £5/month to rent them. Your monies will buy better.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
psmithson
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I’m e titled to three free ones, but they’re never in stock and you can’t order them. It’s a joke. Question is, why should I need them? The routers are clearly poor, or the speed is turned down for economy. I think Virgin is on its way out, it’s being wound down. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Its because VM only spend about twenty quid on their Hub's as they are being supplied to 5.5m customers. That's a Marketing Department decision to keep the status quo (not a scientific one) as they work fine for >90% of users.

However, if you are in a "challenging" wifi environment (aren't we all these days) it can struggle. So people like me have never, ever, used wifi derived from any ISP supplied Hub - they are all nasty. I just see it as a modem - nothing else. I want better control of my routing capabilities and additional features an I certainly want full control of my own wireless environment and not be reliant on a neighbours better quality/stronger wifi signal 🙂

VM is not going anywhere soon, and the Pod is worth a go (when the ship gets here from China) but you could switch to BT for example, as they "guarantee" whole home wifi by providing good wifi "discs" (as you have inadvertently discovered) - but they charge £10/month for that - and you can buy their discs off Amazon for ~£100 - the maths remain the same!

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos