Menu
Deet27
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Poor Wifi Performance and Losing Internet

Looking some feedback and Direction on what my issue could be.

Live in a 3 Bedroom House (with loft Conversion)

Router in Spare bedroom located in on 1st floor (Central point of house)

I had a Super HUb 2 with a M100 connection for a few years and it performed quite well and got a Good Signal all over the house (apart from the far corner of the kitchen). Previously I would only have intermittent issues where we would have a full wifi signal but trouble getting internet connection. I would remedy this by rebooting the router which tended to work. This would happen every few weeks or so. At the time we would have 15ish devices connected (1 Computer connected by Ethernet everything else Wifi).

On 31st January 2020 we upgraded our connection from M100 to M200.  We have children homeschooling and my wife is also working from home so we looked forward to an improved connection and speed.

We have recently began to set up several smart devices in our home e.g.5 Echo dots/ 18 Smart Bulbs and a Google Nest Thermostat. Recently replaced the Router to a Hub3 as multiple times a day we were having connection issues and having to reboot. I think at the moment we have 38 Devices connected.

After getting the Hub3 it was good for a few days but problems started again. The only way I have been able to get somewhat acceptable service is:-

Use a TP-Link RE305 connected by Ethernet Cable and created separate WIFI channel connecting only Phones/Computers/iPad/MacBooks and Smart TV(this channel has been stable and has not lost internet, 10 Devices)

Everything else connected to the Hub3 28 Devices. Usually something loses connection but comes back a few minutes later.

We have upgraded both the connection and the router so I am at a loss as to why we continue to have such poor service.  We have began to purchase wifi extenders for the first time and we need help to sort this out.  The connection seemed better before our connection upgrade.

Please Help

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/ca82024e3b0e86d2980cfbc9f9657bcb9b... 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor Wifi Performance and Losing Internet

the hub is bad.

you have a lot of wifi connected devices.

get a better router and put the hub in modem mode 🙂

Deet27
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the response, I did believe that the number of connected devices was causing the issue.

At the moment when using the Tp-link RE305 AC1200 connected by Ethernet Cable (with 8 Devices) im having no issues and full coverage (Apart from the far edge of the Kitchen) and Originally I was tempted to get a second RE305 and MESH together but am unsure if I will start getting issues when i have 38 devices connected.

I have been reading numerous Forum Posts about Whole Home Wifi systems and am a bit confused on what items I need to get to make it work effectively and how much I need to spend on hardware/upgrades etc as I felt what I had was sufficient. The likes of:-

Routers 

TP-LINK Archer VR2100 WiFi Modem Router - AC 2100, Dual-band £100

TP-LINK Archer VR2800 WiFi Modem Router - AC 2800, Dual-band £150

Whole House Wifi

TP-LINK Deco M5 Whole Home WiFi System - Twin Pack AC1300 £99

TP-LINK Deco X20 Whole Home WiFi System - Triple Pack AC1800 Wifi6 £240

TP-LINK Deco M9 Plus Whole Home WiFi System - Twin Pack AC2200 £245

TP-LINK Deco X60 Whole Home WiFi System - Triple Pack AX3000 Wifi6 £350

Would me purchasing any of the above be overkill??  Any guidance would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

some thoughts i've posted on mesh products before..

The two brands I would consider if i were in the market are probably ASUS and TP-Link.. Netgear could be considered alongside them, though I've never been a fan of their products..

Wifi-6 is only really relevant if you have wifi-6 capable clients. If most of your devices are only AC, then it won't make any difference whatsoever, but you may want to consider it for futureproofing.. whatever you buy should last a few years at least..

The biggest consideration with a mesh is whether you buy a dual-band or tri-band system.. tri-band is more expensive as it includes an additional radio that is dedicated to backhauling traffic between mesh points.. dual-band ones will share the radio that all of your devices use.. whether or not that impacts performance is really down to how many devices you plan to connect to the mesh.

Make sure whatever you buy has gig ethernet ports (rather than 10/100) else you'll limit the speed of the connection to 100mb.

Options in the TP-Link range are the M4 (entry-level) M5 (step up from the m4, but still dual band) or M9 (tri-band).. These are all AC devices.  If you want to go for wifi-6 then consider the X20 or X60.

For ASUS, the options are somewhat more varied - many of their devices now support their "AI-Mesh" so you can buy a regular ASUS router (like the one you mentioned in your first post) and then add a separate access to the mesh at a later date.. or you could consider their specific mesh products - the premium wifi-6 product being the "ASUS ZenWiFi AX Whole-Home Tri-Band" or for regular AC the "AC3000 Tri-band Whole-Home Mesh WiFi System"

any of the options above are likely to serve you well.. 

sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

38 devices..damn 😮

Its a lot of money to spend but I would say the Deco M9 for its 3rd band. 

Not sure if the budget £100 dual band is suitable for 38 devices

But from what I understand the best value Wi-Fi 5 triple band is the huge Netgear RBK50 @£225.  Its a big gadget so can be put off  but serious hardware if you google reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Ultimate-System-Satellite-Extender/dp/B01KVRRSNI/ref=sr_1_3?adgrpid...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
Deet27
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the comments lads, "38 devices..damn 😮" - lol - I know. Just to give clearer picture - there are 4 People in the house, these are the devices but they are obviously not all in use at the same time.  The use of smart bulbs has bumped this total up considerably - although I would imagine their use of bandwidth is minimal?? (Feel free to correct me on that one...)

5 Phone's

4 Computers/Macbooks (1 is connected by Ethernet)

3 Ipads 

1 Smart TV

1 Nintendo Switch

19 Smart bulbs/Plugs or Strips (Only Connected by 2.4Ghz)

5 Echo Dots

1 Google Nest Thermostat

0 Kudos