Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Poor WiFi

WiFi connection seems to drop at about 7am each day and 11pm. For the last 6 months we have found connections dropping constantly. Often now phones will not connect if we are upstairs when previously there was no problem. 
the super hub is in the same place, we have no extra walls, interference etc but are continually either resetting the hub, switching it off or using 4g data. Son’s x box will no longer connect and phones can only be used in certain areas of the house. 
I don’t feel I should have to fork out for boosters as this was never a problem before. 
It’s now so irritating I will have to change to BT unless it can be resolved. 
during connection drops the light on the hub is a dull white colour. 
what can be done to fix the issue? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor WiFi

how do you know you have no interference?
Wireless envoiment chances all the time. You can't control it.

Other people using wifi in the range will effect it even if not on your network as well as the many other 100's of things that use the same fequanes.

You own better router is always the better option. But you could also move to BT

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Do wired connections drop at the same time?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

IF you have an Android phone there are some apps available that let you visualise the Wifi Networks close to you. The one I am thinking of is  WiFiMan and I use it frequently. Once installed run it and go to Channels. It will give a graphical display of the wifi spectrum close to you.  You should see the highest peak of your own WiFI network, with lower peaks of surrounding networks.

However the HUB has inbuilt "smarts" where it monitors the WiFi spectrum and moves the hub to use the least used portion of the spectrum. This is to give better wifi. on 2.4ghz wifi the common channels used are 1, 3,6,9 and sometimes11. All Hubs from Internet providers use the same methods to give the best wifi connections. Thus moving to another  Internet provider may not help you.

0700 and 2300 sound like when Central heating comes on and off. Does your heating use wifi in any way?.... It could be next doors heating !!!!

Use Youtube to search for how to configure your HUB. It is possible to change the wifi channels your hub uses to one that wifiman indicates is unused.

This issue takes time to resolve, and my never be resolved due to other wifi networks from houses all around you.  CHange things every day or so, keep a log of what you have done and the experience these changes have made.  Over time (weeks) you will find the best channel to put your wifi on.

Its timeconsuming but with the informtion provided I can only see this is a viable way forward.

Regards

KK