Menu
blacklabel
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Poor WiFi signal when 5 metres away from hub

I have just had a call with customer services due to the fact over the last couple of months my WiFi signal has gotten worse and worse when more than 5 metres away from my hub.

The call was utterly useless as they just ran through the generic questions and in the end offered no further help as I passed the standard test questions. My issue is not connecting to the internet but retaining that connection throughout numerous rooms in my home.

I currently have the 200mbps connection and in my living room near the hub it is getting those numbers no problem, however leaving that room into any other room anywhere in the house I am lucky to even get a connection above 10mbps download and the upload speed tends to be non-existent. 

I asked about the WiFi boosters and if they would help, apparently they are no longer being issued due to Covid which does not make any sense to me as they are actively installing new customers so why couldn't they post a WiFi booster? 

And they didn't even mention to me about the Intelligent WiFi Plus with the WiFi Pods, which I only found out about when signing up to this forum.

I suppose I am here to air my frustration at the lack of being able to ask any questions to the customer service team outside of the standard questions they must ask, also the lack of resolve or guidance to the lack of internet around my home. My understanding of WiFi is that it is to reliable and connectable around the home not just in one single room in the home.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor WiFi signal when 5 metres away from hub

On a Hub3/4, try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" Then use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just use 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) — that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address this, VM now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those. There are stock supply issues at the moment though.

Otherwise, you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever

Get either a…
(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
blacklabel
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Afternoon John,

Thank you so much for the tips and guidance I will definitely give them a try 🙂 I didn't know about the GHz control and can definatley see how that may help in better distribution plus the wireless router and access points do seem a much better investment than the pods 🙂

Thank you so much mate, I will get researching and let you know how I get on bud 🙂

Daz

0 Kudos
Hayley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello @blacklabel,

Welcome to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

Sorry to see that you are having issues with our services.

I can see you have received help with your current issue, do you still need further help? Or has this now been resolved?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos