Menu
James165
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Poor WiFi signal, CS no help

Had the absolute worst experience with customer support last night.

We have been with VM for about 3-4.5years, think about 3 or more contracts, plus some before I moved in with the partner.

During this time we have never had a new router, every time they say the original one is perfectly adequate…fair enough…as all other providers throw one at you unnecessarily after every re-up.

After moving into our property last year, adequate size 2 bed flat, the WiFi would just about reach into both bedrooms (1-2 bars on phones), roll forward a year and the WiFi cuts out now in half the distance, so is only good in our lounge, where lets be honest every thing is on Ethernet apart from 2 mobiles (2 mobiles is all we use on WiFi anyway FYI).

Phoned virgin media after months of the situation degrading, standard stuff of failing security checks because the operator was inputting wrong characters as couldn’t understand he alphabet, finally got there just about with phonetic finessing.

Standard checks and reboots were done (I’ll add now that these have been done a few times over the last year too). 
All systems are green and “you have a 2020 router so it is all fine”, after some back and forth he rephrased it to “2020 firmware”, because it’s impossible to have a 2020 router when this one belongs in a museum.

So again usual questions about router placement, it’s on the counter top about 300mm from our tv (save as last year) and maybe less than 300mm from a plant.

“Ah yes so this will be absorbing WiFi”, what what?! A pot plant it stealing all my WiFi?!

“Well maybe, it is also down to the radiation, so your signal will come back because the radiation levels do change, WiFi will come back sir”

And again it’s “As all systems are showing green, there is no fault with your router”

After a lot of back and forth over this WiFi hogging plant and radiation fluctuating router, it turns out “in our terms and conditions we only guarantee you get cable into your house, not if you have good WiFi”

Okay sure fair enough , but I have a 3+ year old router not pushing out signal and you can’t help? “No, if this is no good then that is all we do”

I was told that as all this are perfect I can buy a new router for £100, or £5 a month gets me an extender…

So went to the escalations team? Who said they can only close my account, and that’s why I was transferred to them?! Oh so because I complain about the service you want me to leave?! And probably charge me too.

I then got told that WiFi is 100% my issue and CM don’t get involved with bad WiFi and it states that in the terms and conditions, if I want a new router I have to pay or leave and get one via another provider.

After the call I checked on the site and can find nothing in the T&C about WiFi, only that the router is their property and if damaged I have to pay. The router is clearly not damaged, but also not fit for purpose.

I have tried splitting the WiFi, changing channel, rebooting, asking for help and asking for a router, and at every point I fall flat yet my contract goes up without fair every year.

Can anyone recommend a solution to this? Or a router that works with virgin for under £100?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
lotharmat
Community elder
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor WiFi signal, CS no help

Have you done anything to check signal strengths?

What channel is your wifi broadcasting on?

How congested is the area you living with wifi?

Chances are someone nearby has got a pretty powerful router that is causing interference with yours. With all the home-working that has occurred and the fight for bandwidth this could very well be what is happening.

First thing I would do is download a free wifi analyser and see what channel is best to set your hub to to see if this makes a difference.

If it doesn't - I would invest in a better router - the Hub is a decent enough modem but not a very capable router - it's cheap as hell!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

James165
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Oops didn’t mean to mark it. 

I will download one and check tonight

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Community elder
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ideally if people stick to channels 1,6 and 11 for the 2.4GHz then things cna improve pretty quickly - it's when people start overlapping that problems can occur - If you're on good terms with your neighbours it may be worth seeing if you can mutually agree on what channels you're going to use.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos