cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor WiFi quality on newly installed Superhub 4 1Gbps broadband

Manj75
Dialled in

I've recently upgraded to 1Gbps broadband and had my Superhub 3 replaced with hub4 and I can see the speed uplift in going to 1Gbps so happy with that.  However since day one the WiFi setup is not as robust as it used to be with the previous hub 3.

I keep getting 'Internet not available due to poor quality' and simply disconnecting and reconnecting occasionally resolves the issue on mobile devices.  It's installed in the same location and gets similar WiFi strength as the previous hub, but I have not idea as to why the constant random disconnects on certain devices.

My Son's Nintendo Switch constantly fails to connect to 2.4Ghz WiFi which is also bizarre as the SID is seen and signal strength is good.

Is the Hub4 inferior to Hub3 or are there known/reported issues with the WiFi for the latest device?

I get the feeling that the hub4 has a fault in it and needs to be replaced - I'm not happy with this and tried to call into 150 but gave up to the wall of automated speaker referring to online and diagnostic tools, so thought I'd put it out here as previous VM forum users have been helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Manj75,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you've been having some WiFi issues since the change in hub.

I've had a look at things from our side, and it does seem like a few of your hubs levels are not what they should be.

I can see it's been some time since the hub was last rebooted. Can you please do this and let me know if things improve, and I'll check the levels again.

Alex_Rm

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this info

Do you know if its a wifi only issue (ethernet connections are ok?), if it is - then on a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. Its now called… Wifi Max see…….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You can call  0800 064 3850 to order the first one - or follow instructions on that website - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you . If you call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John,

Thanks for your response, but I have exhausted several options to resolve this.

1. Setup separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz still same issue of poor quality internet
2. Switched off 5 GHz and only ran 2.4 same problem seen
3. Tried free channels again same issue observed

Basically, even when I have a device right next to the VM superhub4 it claims it cannot connect to WiFi, which suggests to me there is some wrong in the hub that is given me sporadic connection issues.

Considering the cost of the broadband package this is not acceptable and suspecting the hub I can only think of having it replaced.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You didnt say... have you disabled the smart/intelligent wifi and the channel optimisation feature ? IMHO its that which causes many of theses issues.

But as I intimated... its no substitute for getting your own equipment.... and as the Hub4 is only wifi5 you would get better speeds out of a wifi6 router or WAP. And if it has a 2.5/10 GHz port you will get better speeds on ethernet cable connected devices too.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John, for your response.

I've just seen your post and will definitely try to disable smart/intelligent wifi and channel optimisation feature to see if that improves things.

Tbh where the cost is at for VM broadband you would expect fully test and quality hardware.  The latest Hub4 is worse than the previous Hub3 that I had which was solid and gave me no issues out of the box.

Upgraded to Hub4 for the 1Gig broadband and just simply get constant sporadic disconnects, even my printer that sits next to the Hub4 periodically disconnects from it's WiFi connection, surely this should never happen and certain didn't with the Hub3.

VM advertise a WiFi guarantee and I will follow-up on that because this upgrade seems more of a downgrade.

Also, I am suprised that no VM support workers do not response - previously they would by very helpful and action on issues better than calling into tech support where there is endless wait listening to stupid banner messages that can't be skipped.

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Manj75,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you've been having some WiFi issues since the change in hub.

I've had a look at things from our side, and it does seem like a few of your hubs levels are not what they should be.

I can see it's been some time since the hub was last rebooted. Can you please do this and let me know if things improve, and I'll check the levels again.

Alex_Rm

Hi Alex_RM,

I have rebooted the Hub4 and seems okay but early days - can you check the levels to see if what you found before is resolved and all looks healthy.

Thanks,

Manjit

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Manj75, 

Thanks for your reply and update. 

I have taken a look from our side and your levels do appear to be running within specification. 

How are things from your side since your last post please? 

Thanks, 

Nat

Hi Natalie_L,

Thanks for checking the levels and updating that all looks to be within specification.

I can also update that the issue has been resolved and the WiFi from the Hub4 is holding up strong - no device disconnects seen since the reboot, especially my printer connected to WiFi next to the Hub4 that used to constantly disconnect.

Thanks for your assistance - great service, keep up the good work 🙂

Hi Manj75, 

Thanks for taking the time to come back to us in the Community. 

We're really pleased to hear that things are working as they should be for you now. 

If you have any further issues, please pop back and let us know. In the meantime I've passed your positive comments over to Nat 🙂

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs