Menu
Marvic31
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Poor WiFi or no Connection

Why does my Wi Fi keep dropping. Can’t even watch a YouTube video without having to switch to 4g.  Not long renewed contract so is there any way to get out of contract due to Virgin not being able to provide a stable Wi Fi connection?

1EB4B515-7547-440D-B8CC-2E217CE2E671.png

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor WiFi or no Connection

need more info.

Are these issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

And what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Marvic31
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi. Thanks for the response. I have 2 laptops and a desktop connected directly to router. We use these everyday for work and don’t get any disconnections now that we have plugged them directly into a network switch. Tv box is also connected direct to router(all via a network switch). This was to have as little devices as possible using WiFi. Mostly the phones and Amazon devices use WiFi.   There are no error lights on the router when the WiFi drops. Just nothing. Watching a video just buffers. That’s the only way we know the WiFi has disconnected. Quite frustrating as when it works it’s good. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Assuming you have the Hub3, you could try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands on the Hub3 and also switching off "channel optimisation" - that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for better kit.

VM now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those. There are stock supply issues at the moment though.

Otherwise, you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever.

Get either a…
(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Marvic31
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the suggestions John.  I will have a go at turning off the channel optimisation. I did read about the pods however don’t want to spend more money after bad. Had been a sky customer for years and never really had an issue with WiFi. Was going to go back to sky this year but virgin offered such a good deal to stay. Maybe be I should have listened to my head rather than the wallet. 

0 Kudos