Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Poor WiFi in high rise flat.

Hi guys. 

I need to take advantage of your expertise, if I may?

As the thread title states, we live in a high-rise flat so have concrete walls and are having a problem getting decent signal into the furthest bedroom. We are on the M600 tier and use a Super Hub 3 in router mode. We used the connect feature to detect dead spots and were offered free extenders. They worked well but always ran VERY hot and, recently, the main unit died in a blaze of smoke and bangs! Because of this, I'm not confident of simply getting a replacement as I'm worried about it being a fire hazard! As a temporary measure, I'm using an old Netgear EX2700 but this, obviously, doesn't support high speeds so my daughter is struggling to keep a Zoom conversation going while in Lockdown. Should I switch to modem mode and get a separate router or is there a fault with my Hub?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor WiFi in high rise flat.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Good call from legacy1. Also take a look at Tp-Link Deco M4 or M5's.. make sure that nay you get has 1GB ethernet ports - some cheaper ones dont.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey mate. 

Thanks for the tip. With a mesh would I keep my Hub in router mode? I ask because I currently have 3 ethernet connections running from the hub and switching to modem mode would nullify these. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No you put the Hub into modem mode and connect the first Mesh unit to become the router (NB there is a set sequence for doing that - just ask if you get that far).

The first Mesh unit will have an extra ethernet port so you will need to ad an Unmanaged switch with GB ports to that and then connect your ethernet devices to that. These are around £15-30 depending on how many extra ports you want.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=1gb+unmanaged+ethernet+switch&ref=nb_sb_noss

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

As John has said above, you would end up with something similar to this.

If you do get an unmanaged switch look for one with a metal case in preference to plastic for better heat dissipation and go for a decent amount of ports.

mesh-set-up

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos