Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Poor WiFi in furthest part of the house

Hi All,

We have always had poor WiFi in the furthest part of the house but in the last month(s) it is next to useless.

2 questions:

Is it possible to buy/purchase another router to connect to my existing Hub 3?

Would an upgrade to Hub 4 be an answer.

Thanks in advance

Paul

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Poor WiFi in furthest part of the house

The Hub 4 won't help at all.  In terms of "attaching a new router", in basic terms yes you can, but there's some techy bits to be aware of.

Your simplest fix would be to buy a mesh wifi setup, start it in "access point mode" and turn off the the hub's wifi.  Something like the system I use, a TP-LInk Deco M4, although plenty of other choices on the market, just make sure that whatever you buy has gigagbit-capable ethernet ports.  That should improve wireless connections everywhere in the house, not just at the furthest point.  The reason this is the easiest option is because you don't even need to restart the hub.

I believe that mesh systems work even better if you put the hub in modem mode and start the mesh system in router mode, which involves a bit more fiddling around.  We can talk you through that if you want.  Modem mode does mean only one device can be connected to the hub (and that's the primary mesh unit).

There's other options of boosters and ethernet-attached access points, these have notable downsides which is why I've not elaborated on them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for the quick response.  I won't pretend I'm and expert by any means but I think I understand the principles of what you say.  I will investigate mesh systems and look to purchase.  Once I have, the offer of future support would be fantastic (I know I'll get stuck along the way.

Thanks, again

Paul

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

That's excellent advice you have been given, A mesh system is exactly what you need, and I'm sure you will get plenty of help here. Good luck!

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Before you purchase - things to watch out for. Look for systems where the "first" unit is the new router and has 1GB ethernet ports - if it doesnt shout that out to you they are probably only 10/100 so will limit speeds. You can often buy them as 2/3/4 packs. A number of people posted here recently that they got a two pack (Deco M4 or M5 I think) and that solved all there issues. You could always add extra units in if you went that route and 2 weren't enough for your property. Think of the difference between a modern single floor 1 bed flat with plasterboard walls - versus an 18th century stone built, 8 bedded mansion.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate the comments/support with this question, all.

I think I'm going to go for the Deco M5 3-pack which seems to be ticking all the boxes.  I had a look at Google WiFi but I'm guessing there is the usual Google 'premium' in the pricing.

Thanks again to you all.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than Johnnie-come-latleys like Google, BT, Amazon etc.

Twoo of my friends who both live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, both just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs and both told me it is - “absolutely brilliant with full wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”.

Just set the Mesh up in this sequence,
Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and unplug it. Put the VM Hub into modem mode (see VM website for details) and wait for the base light to turn magenta. Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off. Then, fire up your own router with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the WAN ethernet cable into the VM hub (any port). Now power up the VM hub wait a few minutes and you should get a connection. Then use the recommended Mesh App to connect other Mesh units to the first one. be patient when locating them as they can sometimes take 30-60 seconds to connect properly. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

BT Whole Home has been around for at least 4-5 years and Eero (before being acquired by Amazon) have been making network equipment since 2015 as well. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@gary_dexter wrote:

BT Whole Home has been around for at least 4-5 years and Eero (before being acquired by Amazon) have been making network equipment since 2015 as well. 

Exactly! -  johnny-come-latelys!  (sorry Gary, couldn't resist  😎)

--------------------
John
--------------------