Menu
Colin_J_64
Tuning in
Message 1 of 70
Flag for a moderator

Poor WiFi even with booster

I have now been with Virgin for 7 months and I am completely fed up with the poor slow WiFi

I have 200Mb package with a booster because Virgin accepted that the WiFi was poor but it doesn't really help

The technical team just tell me to reboot everything - which of course I have done before contacting them. Something I seem to have to do fairly regularly to get any sort of service

I have 11 months left to "survive" the pain that is Virgin WiFi

Anyone got any tips on how to exit your contract or get Virgin to take some responsibility for the really poor antenna's in their routers and maybe be sent a Hub 4 which are alleged to be better antennas?

WiFi should be the same as any other utility - it works and is available as expected

my wifi at times is slower than using my 4g connection with 1 bar and won't even deliver messages to my family members when we are all connected at home to the same WiFi

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 2 of 70
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor WiFi even with booster

get your own router or mesh system and use the hub in modem mode 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 70
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Colin_J_64,

Welcome to our Community Forum! Thank you for your first post, we really appreciate it!

We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing some connection issues!

Can you tell us if this speed issue is also present on an Ethernet connection?

Would you be able to complete a wired connection speed test so we can see if this issue is present on just your WiFi connection, or wired connection too.

Please keep us updated!

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Colin_J_64
Tuning in
Message 4 of 70
Flag for a moderator

Don’t have any Ethernet devices, it’s 2021!!

that’s a stock question from Virgin tech support, next question is have you rebooted. Then have you contacted support, they will fix it. Might do for a few hours

the antennas in the virgin router are the cheapest they could buy, and are not fit for purpose hence why I want to have my contract cancelled as I’m not getting the service I’m paying for

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 70
Flag for a moderator

You wont get cancelled for poor wifi - your contract clearly states that they are excluded from the speed guarantees. That only applys on "speeds to the Hub" and out on ethernet connections - hence this is why you are being asked to test that - not necessarily to run on ethernet cables but just to see if the speeds you are paying for are actually being supplied. If the guaranteed speeds aren't being achieved on an ethernet connection then you can exit the contract with no penalties.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 70
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Colin_J_64,

Thanks for getting back to us about this and thank you for updating us on your connection.

A lot of our customers still use Ethernet connection for their main PC or laptop devices, as we can guarantee speeds on wired connections, whereas we cannot guarantee WiFi speeds. You can read more about this here if you wish.

As @jbrennand stated, we mainly use Ethernet cables to rest if your Hub is receiving the correct speeds.

Do you have an Ethernet cable spare to carry this test out?

Please let us know.

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Colin_J_64
Tuning in
Message 7 of 70
Flag for a moderator

Since signing up to the contract Virgin have very helpfully told me that they don’t guarantee WiFi.  That’s really helpful once in contract!! Maybe they should make that clear BEFORE signing up customers?!  PPI mis-selling springs to mind here!

doesn’t matter what speed is available on an Ethernet connection. In a residential property they don’t have structured cabling to every room and even if they did, most laptops and definitely tablets and mobile phones don’t have Ethernet ports so what use is an Ethernet based ISP?!

so what Virgin is saying in effect is that they will provide a wired internet connection in a world where internet is predominantly used via witelsss connectivity. If I want to use wireless connectivity at the speeds they have sold me I have to spend hundreds of £’s on mesh routers!!

0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 70
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Colin_J_64,

We're sorry to hear that you feel this way. We do not want you to feel like you were mis-sold.

All the information I provided can be accessed publicly on our website. A lot of our competitors do not guarantee WiFi, and if they do, it is a very low speed.

I understand that this is very frustrating and we want to ensure that you're receiving the correct speeds. However, in order do that, we will need to check that your Hub is receiving the correct speeds from the wires going into your property.

Are you able to carry out a wired speed test, so we know if your broadband is the issue, or just the WiFi connection?

Please let us know if you have access to an Ethernet cable and a laptop or a PC device that had an Ethernet port.

Keep us updated.

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 70
Flag for a moderator

@Colin_J_64 wrote:

so what Virgin is saying in effect is that they will provide a wired internet connection in a world where internet is predominantly used via witelsss connectivity. If I want to use wireless connectivity at the speeds they have sold me I have to spend hundreds of £’s on mesh routers!

No...  what VM say is that they....  will supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”) for those with wifi issues. Pods are free to “some customers” most will be charged £5/month (although they dont have enough supplies right now to provide them unless you have a demonstrable wifi issue).

For comparison, BT "guarantee" whole home wifi - but charge customers an extra £10/month for supplying of up to 3 of their "proprietary" wifi discs - which cost about £100 to buy on Amazon and then say if it doesnt work they will give you your monies back - some guarantee!  The maths just dont add up.

A decent Mesh system that is yours to own forever and can be used with any other provider that you move to in the future, can be had for ~£100

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Colin_J_64
Tuning in
Message 10 of 70
Flag for a moderator

I could probably borrow one but how does that help me? All my devices are connected wirelessly. What I can say is that when I reboot the router and stand next I it I can get up to 200mb on WiFi. However step away and speed deteriorates rapidly

i have had 2 engineers round and their test results unsurprisingly are better than results I get on multiple devices of mine located next to the engineers device. The engineers fob it off as “it just takes time for the speed to get through to some devices”. However they did report back that I was experiencing speed connectivity issues. 

Virgin have provided me with a booster because they accepted there was an issue. Coverage has improved but speeds vary from day to day, hour by hour. Eventually I have to reboot again. Last week I had to reboot the router 4 times in 24 hours. The booster also has to be regularly rebooted otherwise I get less than 5mbps. That’s poor in anyone’s books

both engineers told me (and it’s clear online forums) that virgin accept that the antennas in the hub 3 are very poor so can’t transmit the internet speeds wirelessly which is the main reason why hub 4 has been developed

other ISP’s do have different guarantees, but BT homehubs I NEVER had speed degradation or dropouts however Openreach don’t provide FTTC in my street. Virgin also throttle speed when there is lots of usage in your area which probably contributes to the fluctuating speeds I experience 

0 Kudos