Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Poor WiFi even with booster

Hi I have recently had an extention. Built now even with a booster I can’t get WiFi in the extention also the WiFi is pretty crap in the rest of the house 

the engineer suggested Cisco but I’ve also seen net gear 

has any one used either cam anyone help 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor WiFi even with booster

A mesh system would work or run an Ethernet cable and install a wired access point 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou so net gear is ok 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Netgear is a very good reputable make.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Dedi wrote:

Thankyou so net gear is ok 

In what respect?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Netgear are OK, The Prosafe range is my preferred option if using Netgear, but before you do anything, lets look at the basics. 

1. On what band are you getting a poor signal, 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz? 
2. How are you measuring the signal? 

3. Where is your router sited (Is it in a location clear of obstruction etc? 
4. Whats the wifi environment like? (Other networks, baby monitors, Microwave ovens, nearby airports etc).
5. What channels are you using? Have you tried changing them? 
6. Before considering Netgear, there are other better options available in a similar price range. BUT lets look at the basics before we spend any money 🙂 
I would avoid Mesh networks unless you have to, the problem with bad wifi is seldom made better with more wifi 😉 A wired access point in the other part of house would be infinitely better. Preferably with ethernet cable, but in a pinch, Powerline/Homeplug adapters (that use your houses electrical wiring) will give a more stable signal than wifi. 

0 Kudos