Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Poor WiFi and customer service

We have had a Wi-Fi black spot in our daughters room for the entire duration of our last contract, we tried several times to set it up for her using power line adaptors which VM supplied but they just don’t work.  Until recently, it wasn’t a huge deal... she doesn’t pay the bill so ‘no luck’ as it were. 

Different story now though, as she’s working from home and cannot get a good, solid reliable Wi-Fi connection. 

I called VM to cancel as we’re out of contract and intended to change internet provider and use freeview (we don’t use landline at all and only use a basic TV package).  They convinced me to take a new package, it’s a great price but pointless if I can’t get broadband/Wi-Fi where I need it. They told me when signing up to new package that they would pass me on to the technical assistance dept. who would possibly give me a new router so I agreed to new deal and went on hold... after AN HOUR on hold, it was 9:15pm and I decided that I had been left holding past closing time and hung up.

I tried again today and the automated service said tech assistance was closed and hung up... I tried “for anything else, please hold” and got a customer service advisor who basically told me he didn’t have any way to help me other than to try tech assistance again at the weekend when it may be quieter. 

I have looked for ‘live chat’, tried the ‘virgin media connect’ app, or any other way to contact VM to have this problem resolved but I’m getting nowhere.

It’s a decent deal that I’d like to keep but if this last ditch attempt to have something done to get the black spots sorted out in my house doesn’t work... I need to cancel and go to another provider who can supply the service that I need, I have until 3rd November to cancel. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor WiFi and customer service

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting your district. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

Go round all the accessible internal and external co-ax connections and ensure that they are finger tight.

If everything above is OK we need do some more troubleshooting; to start with …

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

Then

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish. Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I’m sorry, 

I have no idea what any of that means.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

WiFi doesn’t form part of your contract or speed/connection guarantee. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Zenedge wrote:

I’m sorry, 

I have no idea what any of that means.

Get your daughter to help you.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@gary_dexter wrote:

Thanks for that info.  In that case, I’ll definitely cancel my contract.  If providing WiFi doesn’t form part of my contract, there’s no way I’m sticking around to see if they’ll do anything about it. 

Seems they’re only interested in securing new contracts than actually supplying a decent customer service or any useful support. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Zenedge wrote:

@gary_dexter wrote:

Thanks for that info.  In that case, I’ll definitely cancel my contract.  If providing WiFi doesn’t form part of my contract, there’s no way I’m sticking around to see if they’ll do anything about it. 

Seems they’re only interested in securing new contracts than actually supplying a decent customer service or any useful support. 

No ISP promises it. Not for free anyway - you have to pay a fee/rental for additional equipment and by the time you’ve done that you might as well buy your own better equipment and keep it for a lifetime. 

You sign up for the connection to be delivered to your home - how you utilise and optimise it internally is down to you, not the supplier. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos